Tuesday, August 7, 2012

More Chocolate - Windham Wednesdays


Addison Collection by Windham Fabrics
 I had a lot of chocolate this past week (no, not the kind you eat; the kind you get to enjoy without any calories). This new collection by Nancy Gere for Windham Fabrics was calling: "Cut me up; sew me up; make me into something beautiful!"

As I only had a little over 1/2 yard of each fabric (and there are a LOT of fabrics in this collection - just look at the pics below - both piles), I decided to focus on the large scale, main print at the top and then use my pattern for the Garden Maze connector unit.
 I first wrote an article for Quilt Magazine about this unit in 1999 and called it "Don't Be Dazed by the Garden Maze." Clever, huh? It is traditionally sewn with odd sized templates. But I have designed both foundation piecing patterns and quick cutting and piecing directions for making it.

Well, what am I waiting for? I pulled out a selection of fabrics and started cutting. Yes, I did some math first, but I always design in the cloth first, check the math later.
I created TWO versions and I am providing the directions for the unit with the thinner dark brown strips, Garden Maze #1.

Scroll to the bottom for a GIVEAWAY of these luscious fabrics.

Cut a 5-3/4" square; crease along one diagonal

Cut square in half along the other diagonal.
Cut a contrasting strip: 1-7/8" x 12"

Center and sew strip to both triangles. Align the pressed lines as shown.

Press seams toward the triangle fabric
Sew 2 strips 1-7/8" x 5-1/2" with 1 square 1-7/8"
Align as shown and sew with 1/4" seam

Press and sew other side

Trim corner ends using square ruler.

7-3/4" unfinished size. Make 4
Garden Maze sashing with center block
OK. I'm pooping out here. To finish this:
1. Make 4 sashing units. For EACH cut two 1-1/2" x 12-1/2" strips brown and one 5-3/4" x 12-1/2" strip pink print. Yes, those brown strips ARE DIFFERENT from the Garden Maze units; it's because of the diagonal in the Garden Maze units.
2. Make 1 center block. Cut one 9" square large square brown floral and two 6-7/8" squares large scale pink. Cut pink squares in half along ONE diagonal (for 4 triangles total) and sew to each of the 4 sides of the brown floral square. This measures 12-1/2" unfinished.
3. Sew units together. Finished size: 26-1/2".
Wider brown strips with a different look
7 fat quarters from the Addison Collection are my GIVEAWAY!
Thank you for stopping by! And go ahead - share this tutorial link with your friends. It makes my fabric and quilt blocks so happy.

21 comments:

  1. Andes Candies...nothing like chocolate and mint together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous way to start the day today! I'm a follower...my favorite chocolate is the eggless cake my daughter bakes. It's rich and fudgy and a scoop of vanilla ice cream is perfect with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this sashing idea. Have seen it recently on a few antique quilts, but hadn't taken the time to sit down and dissect it. Thanks so much for the tutorial.

    Favourite chocolate food = ice cream!

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a follower and love your designs. Pure chocolate especially dark, in the form of chocolate hunks. That's my guilty pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like chocolate ice cream! Great looking fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm putting my name in the winning hat! I love dark chocolate covered blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tutorial, thanks. I'm now a follower and my favorite chocolate food is brownies, but anything chocolate will do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I have ever met anything chocolate that I haven't loved!!
    I am a follower and love your site.
    Thank you for the opportunity to enter this luscious giveaway.
    My email is: srcrs1@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a follower. I don't really like chocolate which is a good thing since I can't eat it anyway. I see a lot of chocolate desserts that look awesome but I don't ever eat any.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tutorial! Thanks for taking the time to create that and share.
    My favorite candy is chocolate covered cherries! Those fabrics look just as luscious as that favorite treat! Thank you for the chance to win. I am now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful fabrics and everything is better in chocolate! especially with peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving this! Sure could use some of those yummy colors. Love the design. Would make a precious table topper.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not a chocolate (fabric) person, but I love this quilt.

    carol C

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all things chocolate but chocolate pudding is my all-time favorite. I especially like a chocolate-French Silk-pudding pie.

    shel704 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I luv the colors you have done this in. I have always been a sweet tooth, the most amazing chocolate I have eaten would be while on holidays in Phuket in June, 2012. Every night at 6.00pm a lady would come round to every ones room and leave a little choccy with a 'quote' to go with it. From choccy luvver.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Debby - I'm a new follower via email - my favorite chocolates are homeade brownies with a raspberry jam topping and drizzled with a milk chocolate glaze - YUM! Now I need to go & bake ... having a chocolate attack :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Debby. I would love to win these fat quarters. I have made a quilt top using "Box of Chocolates" by Jane Brocket. I designed my block looking at hers since I had no measurements. Pink is my favorite color,too. I can't resist a pink fabric. I love brownies. Jean.
    suchanelli@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for the instructions for the garden maze border. I will try it very soon. I signed up to follow you by email. The fabric colors are some of my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the look of the Garden Maze quilt, thanks for introducing it to me. My favorite chocolates are the brownies I make and Bliss White Chocolate meltaways.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com