Thursday, September 6, 2012

Love Those Dots, Part 2

Dots and Dots in my favorite colors! MultiDot Collection by French Bull for Windham Fabrics
Yesterday I posted that I would play with some of these fabrics and I did. I cut 2 large squares from each of the dots collection and then combined them with squares of Windham's Spin Collection of bright, jewel-toned basics.
Yummy solids and dots in a real Spin (no pun intended)
I made 3 stacks of fabrics out of the first 16 squares and then made 3-4 cuts in each of the stacks. Did a little shuffle and re-sewed the units together. Honest - I am not kidding - it took under an hour to sew all 16 blocks. This is the basis of the class called Colorburst Squares I am teaching this Fall with the Sewing Expo, so I can't give out the pattern here. But basically it is a variation on the ever-present Cobblestone Block that you see in all the magazines and publications. But my quilt has the centers of each block floating around - so there's much more movement.
Colorburst Squares© using Dots and Brights (Spin)
I have another 16 blocks to sew for a very nice sized bed quilt. The blocks finish to 9".

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dots. The blocks turned out great. I guess I am going to have to start a stash of dots. I think I am hooked and your block pattern works well with the dots. Thanks for sharing. Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dots are a must have!

    That's a great quilt! I love how the squares are floating like that. Sometimes we need fast and easy quilt patterns to fall back on.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com