Friday, November 16, 2012

Blend Fabrics, Bella Collection

I received a lovely bundle of fabrics to sew with a few weeks ago from Blend Fabrics (a division of Anna Griffin fabrics). I have always admired her beautiful designs and it is a real pleasure to sew with fabrics that not only look good but feel good (they have a wonderful "hand", the industry word for how they feel in your hand). Amanda Murphy is the fabric designer and I can see why they have such a broad appeal to young people (or those of us who wish we were still young)!

The Bella Collection by Amanda Murphy for Blend Fabrics
The first thing I did was stroke them. Put them in a little pile. Stroke them some more. Then I figured it was time to cut and sew! I wanted to make a fabric box to display the fabrics in and here is where I went with it.
7" squares fused with Pelon heavy interfacing; Coats variegated thread
Center square = box bottom. 4 blue squares, box sides. Quilt back underneath for some eye candy.
Sewed sides together using a wide satin stitch. It looked a little boring so I added some glorious lace I bought in Spain a few years ago. Awesome, huh?
7" square sides and bottom. Perfect for storing a new Bella Collection.
You can see a well illustrated tutorial at Geta's Quilting Studio. She shows the steps for making gorgeous boxes with lovely, decorative flowers and buttons.

OK. What else did I sew?
A 4 block table runner using half and full hexagons
This is one of my patterns that I bring out from time to time. I have a custom half-hexagon template that goes with my Braid Quilt pattern and I used it to cut out 3" half-hexagons. Sewed them into a circle. Oops! There's a big hole in the center. Well, I covered it up with a faced hexagon. Huh?

Sew 6 half-hexagons into a circle; press seams open
Added a full hexagon to the center and then I cut a hexagon shape for the back of the half-hex ring and sewed around all sides, adding a layer of batting. Left a small opening for turning, trimmed the seams and clipped the corners short to reduce bulk.

This is what it looks like turned and top stitched before joining to 3 more blocks
4 Block table runner on the back
I made one more runner with full hexagons and triangles. Not quilted yet, but isn't she lovely?

And yes, this is one more project in my theme:


6 comments:

Michele said...

Nice, nice. I almost stopped breathing when I saw which fabrics you were featuring here. I love that line so! I want it all! LOL I'm trying to decide what I will make with it so that I can order enough.

jagarland said...

gorgeous fabric line. I can see several projects with this
Joan

SHIRLEY TENER said...

Thank you for Sharing, I love it all, just what I needed right now, for I am decorating my studio.

Helen L said...

Beautiful hexagon quilt projects!! Love the pattern and the fabrics that you used!!

Geta Grama said...

I am ready for fussy cut hexagons now! Love your box too.

Hello World said...

Since I did not receive this e-mail until today (11/28) I am not eligible for a prize but I hope you arrange the hexagons in the first - staggard- arrangement. It has life and movement. the traditional one is static and boring.
se_green01@yahoo.com