Sunday, February 10, 2013

A Benefit Quilt Sale

Hand quilted Colombian motifs - 15" x 15": $40
My daughter Audrey called last week to tell me about a friend who had a terrible accident. Her name is Raquel and her car hit a patch of ice and slammed into a utility pole (in Connecticut). Her legs were pinned and rescue workers were set to amputate her legs in order to get her out. Someone called a doctor to the scene and he convinced them to save her legs, but she is in such bad shape and may never walk again. She is 36, a newly wed and a Spanish citizen. Her parents are older, retired and don't speak any English but they came here and are hoping and praying that Raquel lives and can regain the use of her legs.

Why do I care? I have daughters and I can't imagine having to go to another country where I don't speak the language. I have limited funds and can't stay for an extended period of time. Besides a lot of prayer, people are also contributing money to help the parents with their travel bills. I realized I can sell some of my quilts, and that's the purpose of this blog post. 100% of the money from the sale of these quilts will be sent to offset the tremendous cost to Mr and Mrs Ballesteros. When you are retired in Spain, you have just a small pension - that's it. This is an incredible financial hardship on them.

Here are some of my quilts. How did I calculate the price? $25/square foot (give or take!) If you would like to buy one, let me know via email FIRST. The postage is included; international, I'll calculate and get back to you). It's first come, first served. I will use PayPal for this. All of these quilts have NEVER been used other than to  be photographed. They have lived in my closets, waiting for a good home. Not all have labels; many have rod pockets for hanging. Those without labels, I will make one but you have to sew it on (my hands can no longer handle the hand sewing).

A cute little Sunbonnet Sue quilt with authentic feed sacks for the border:

Embroidered Sunbonnets (machine) with feed sacks - 26" x 26":  $60
A simple 1930s Hearts Table Runner:
Rings of Hearts Table Runner - 20" x 29" : $40
A simple Honeycomb quilt for Spring:
Honeycomb Quilt - 21" x 26" : $40 Sold to Teresa
Three blocks from my Royal Star pattern:
Royal Star Table Runner (or wall  banner) - 15" x 30" : $40  Sold to Terri
One single Royal Star block:
Royal Star Wall Hanging - 18" x 18" (label, no rod pocket) : $25
9 blocks from my paper pieced Stars series (6" blocks):
Starry, Starry Night Quilt - 33" x 33" : $100
This quilt was made using ONLY 2-1/2" strips from one Jelly Roll:
Jelly Roll Basket - 30" x 30", custom quilted: $75 (rod pocket & label)
This Kimono can be hung from the front or back Batting in center. Rod slips through small opening at top of shoulders:
String Pieced Kimono - 32" x 44" : $150


For that baseball fan!
Batter Up! - 47" x 47" Machine quilted. Rod pocket for hanging. $350
Stained Glass Mini Star - 16" x 16". $20
Flannels, plaids and wool hearts - 20" x 25" (rod pocket on back): $35
Four Buds (paper pieced) - 16" x 16" (rod pocket on back): $20 Sold to Barb
Ethnic Echoes Adinkra Quilt - 60" x 60" (rod pocket on back): $600
Dancing Flower Pots - 46" x 58" (rod pocket on back): $450
A modern take on a traditional Amish quilt (from my book Supersize 'Em Quilts - signed copy of the book included with quilt):
Modern Grace - 26" x 26" (no rod pocket or label, but custom quilted): $75
This Penguin family is a batik panel. There is also a tote bag (with appliqued penguin on it) that coordinates with this fabric and comes with the quilt:

Chill! - 48" x 48": Custom quilted, rod pocket not sewn down. $400
African Magic - 57" x 72" - $700
The next quilt is from the patterns done in partnership with the Gee's Bend Collective and Windham Fabrics. It is quite striking!
Gee's Bend adaption - Housetop 4 Block - 57" x 65" (rod pocket) - $675
Rainbow Strips - soft flannel back - 47" x 47": $200
These two quilts were samples for a workshop. I don't teach it anymore. Fabrics are bright, cheery, happy and perfect for a child.

Rainbow Curves - 42" x 42": $200
Knock Your Sox Off Stars - a very large quilt (bed sized or for making quite a statement on your wall)
Knock Your Sox Off Stars - 82" x 82" : $1000  $800
 These  two quilts use Westminster/Kaffe Fassett fabrics:

Geraniums Rail Fence and 4 Patch - 68" x 68": $600
Peacock Garden (from my Supersize 'Em Quilts book) - 72" x 87" : $700

Spinning Stars (paper pieced) - 25" x 25": $45

Asian Rings (raw edge applique) - 38" x 48"
The following quilt is my rendition of some paper pieced blocks (8") from my local quilt shop. I decided to do raw edge applique using ultra-suede scraps. All edges are covered with a machine feather stitch in various rayon threads. Rod pocket on back for hanging.

Ultrasuede Origami Birds - 31" x 41": $200
One of my Folded Hexagons quilts with yo-yos and prairie point leaves:
Folded, 3-D Hexagons - 12" x 12": $30

Embroidery Machine quilt block, Seven Sisters:
Seven Sisters - 10" x 10": $20 Sold to Sandy

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com