Saturday, July 27, 2013

Please Don't Pick on My Strawberries!

Did he really have to count them?
Imagine my horror after dinner the other night as I watched my dear husband Phil walk into the hallway, stop in front of this mini quilt and begin counting the strawberries by POKING EACH ONE WITH HIS FINGER! Poke - one; poke - two, up to 8 plump strawberries. I gasped: "What are you doing? You're not supposed to TOUCH quilts. You KNOW that, right?"

He looked chagrined - and grinned like a Cheshire cat (or like a junior high boy caught in the act). He IS a keeper and like I always say: I'm still married to my first husband after 36+ years. Never found anyone better. But where did I go wrong about teaching him how to treat quilts? It was the lure, I guess, of those plump strawberries. His own strawberry garden didn't yield any this first year, so maybe he was just getting out his frustrations.

I found my pattern for this quilt which appeared in Applique Quilts in 2004. I didn't make the center block (it was an orphan I came upon), but I did design and execute the layout and quilted it. I love the asymmetry of the borders and prairie points, don't you?

You can have this pattern FREE, yes I said FREE. Simply visit my Craftsy store and look for it at the top of the list. The link for my Craftsy pattern store is on the right sidebar. Thanks so much for your continued interest in my patterns and stories about my quilts. They each have a unique tale. This one about my husband poking all 8 of those strawberries is one of the craziest!


13 comments:

  1. I love the strawberries - thanks Debby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that he wanted to have some real strawberries. They are wonderful and I love strawberries too,
    They are out of seasons here in south of Sweden.
    Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL now that is funny.

    Thanks for the pattern I am going to download it and put it in my "to do" stack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the colors and especially the prairie points!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute story about an adorable little wallhanging. I love the prairie points. Thanks for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh I love it...lol...men can be such tactile creatures when they aren;t being couch creatures...lol....The quilt is absolutely gorgous by the way..I have a sister that loves Strawberri stuff for her kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debby, your strawberry quilt is adorable! I love the little extras you put in, like the prairie points. It does look delicious so you'll have to forgive your husband for touching it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh Debby! You are just amazing! Once again you have created the most awesome little project. I only wish my Mom was still alive. She just loved strawberries and collected things for her kitchen. I surely would have been making this for her, but I'll just have to make one for myself now to hang next to the strawberry plate I have on my wall. That plate was the very last thing I had bought for my Mom as she had a plate collection, which I now have.

    Thank you Debby. This is just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahahaha. I busted up laughing at this (in my house quilts are intended to be used) and when I explained this to my husband, he said he wished he wasn't supposed to touch the quilts. (he is my sandwiching assistant. He is super good at it.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Debby somewhere I am going to have to find the time to make that sweet little quilt .My husband doesn't touch he just ask who are you making this one for ,and when I say I have no one in mind he wants to know why I am making it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this as I LOVE strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man!!! That's the cutest strawberry wall hanging I've ever seen!!!! Definitely eye candy!!!!! Love the details and the asymmetry! Thanks for the peek!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com