New Class, New Quilt

20" Mariner's Compass, paper pieced on a coffee filter
Remember this quilt? I made it last summer using a collection of reproduction prints by Mary Koval. You can see some of the details HERE. The center compass was drafted on a LARGE coffee filter (think: Starbuck's). Then I cut it apart and paper pieced the sections and stitched it back together. Added the geese halo. Now, we're talking BIG!

This is a new class that begins at the Quilting LIVE! Show in Atlanta, GA (September 11 - 13). I realized that not everyone enjoys these colors and felt I had to make another one using today's fabrics (can you say "solid"?) and so this is what I got . . .

Same compass, same geese ring, new fabrics
Yes, there is a slight difference in the grays. The compass gray is a little lighter than the gray in the geese halo. My friend Jean Ann Wright (my former editor at Quilt Magazine) helped me with the color choices and the local quilt shop owner, Kathye Gillette (Quilter's Studio in Fairfax) helped me find the right grays. Thanks to both!

I hope that if you're in any of the future cities where the Original Sewing and Quilt Expo visits in the next 12 months you'll consider taking this class.

You can read about the Atlanta class here: Coffee Filter Compass

Tell me which one of these two compasses you prefer (ie, the fabrics). This isn't a contest, but I don't assume everyone is a modern girl! And I really still love the first one!

Comments

  1. Those are both wonderful. I really like the solids in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the traditional look best. There seems to be a depth of colour you don't get in the solid version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. did you say coffee...lol nice design Debby

    ReplyDelete
  4. The are both beautiful,but i guess i'm not a modern girl.I prefer the traditional one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the original one, I guess I will never be modern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both are great, but I love the second one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com