Monday, March 23, 2015

Bird in Tree Hop - Picture Perfect Birds

Today is my day to reveal what I made using the theme "Bird on a Tree Branch." I asked Benartex Fabrics to send me their Avignon Collection because it features - wait for it - BIRDS ON TREE BRANCHES! (As you know, I sew for Benartex and they supply me with their fabrics for promotion.)

This is a tutorial (with pictures) and a free pattern. So, stick with me.

I recalled a technique I used with another bird/tree fabric made years ago. I made two of these quilts, with one finished. This uses my Photo Corner technique which I will share with you today, with FREE templates for you to use with your own fabrics.

Four Block Christmas Birds: 9" blocks
A few bird books in my bookshelf to help me identify my backyard visitors:

Who's visiting today?
First, the Avignon Fabrics by Benartex (I only requested a few):

Avignon Collection by Benartex Fabrics
Next, my simple photo corner templates:

Photo corners traceable templates

I used freezer paper to trace the simple template. I made two so I could cut quickly.

Iron templates to fabric that ALREADY has fusible interfacing on back
 Yes, you first have to iron fusible interfacing (NOT double sided, like Wonder Under) to the wrong side of fabric. This stabilizes the raw edges for machine applique.

Interfacing ironed to wrong side of fabric
Cut out squares and then use freezer paper templates to cut out photo corners.

Iron freezer paper to right side of fabric, then cut out.
Two photo corners cut out. Funny little shape in center: discard or find some clever use - your call!

I plan on 4 blocks. I need 8 photo corners of each color:

Photo corners cut out and ready for the birds!
I asked for 1/2 yard of that awesome main bird fabric. I wish I had asked for more, but it worked out! I needed to fussy cut four birds, so I needed a "window" template. Freezer paper to the rescue.

I created a window that mimicked the opening that the photo corners would create on a 9-1/2" background square. I cut a 9-1/2" piece of freezer paper and traced the photo corners as shown; then I cut out the center. Now I can see the bird fabric and find out where to place this template for cutting.

Window template drawn; now, to cut it out
Now I can see where to place the cutting template. Centered this bird . . .

Bird #1 centered and ready to be cut
Iron the template to the fabric (so it doesn't shift when I cut)

Bird #2 ready to be cut out on the OUTSIDE of the freezer paper square
I used my 9-1/2" ruler to do the chopping

Don't worry birdie; you're safe inside that ruler. I'm only cutting the outside fabric

And how do they look, waiting for the stitching?

Auditioning one bird with green corners
 And how does the same bird look with orange corners?
I like this one better
I placed the photo corners on the 9-1/2" background squares and then used matching thread, zig zag stitched them down. I also trimmed away the excess background fabric from behind each photo corner (before I added the sashing).

Simple zigzag stitch; trimmed away background from behind photo corners
Added sashing (from another Benartex collection), then that luscious fruit fabric for a border.

Song birds in my backyard
Yes, here is the free pattern for the Holiday Birds quilt at the top of this post. The same dimensions apply to this new quilt made with the Avignon Collection.

Many thanks to Lana and Madame Samm for pulling this all together. Loved seeing what all the bloggers have done this past week. Whew! We sure were busy.

Take a hop on over to see what today's bloggers have been up to:

Monday, March 23

52 comments:

  1. Oh these are BEAUTIFUL! What a wonderful technique! I am thrilled that you provided the tutorial too! I want to try this myself! WONDERFUL WORK here and your birds are LOVELY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photo corner setting, perfect for the birdies! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet Ladybird, Please change Madame Samm's link... to Sew We Stitch at
    www.sewwestitch.com
    Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a very cool technique. I have always loved the look of photo corners. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, such a cool idea for this fabric. It was so nice to have a tutorial to boot. The fabric is just as tweet as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea with the photo corner setting; the quilt turned out lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debby this is beautiful. Thanks for sharing your creativity and being part of this hop

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice, I like how you framed it. Not the standard square or circle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great! Thanks for sharing your technique. It has made a beautiful quilt

    ReplyDelete
  10. So very very pretty. I love the corners on the bird blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a lovely technique; thanks so much for sharing it with us! The results are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a beautiful way to display them. It gives such a romantic feel to the work. Thank you for sharing your tutorial, too.

    Julie @ Pink Doxies

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful scalloped edges...lovely tut to boot

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your framed birds are wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing your technique with us. Very clear and easy to follow tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How pretty Debby! Thanks so much for the tutorial. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful project! Thanks for the "How to".

    ReplyDelete
  17. well....I love this idea of picture corners!!!! the quilt is gorgeous Debby

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this. Thanks for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is a gorgeous wall-hanging! Love the way you framed the birds!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Debbie, Those are beautiful fabrics and you showcase them well. I really like your photo corners and can hardly wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful Debby - so spring-like! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the technique you used to fussy cut the birds. I've also scrolled back through your Tree Bird posts for the hop and I love all your bird projects.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those corners are a great idea and look beautiful on your bird quilt...love it! Thanks for the tutorial on how to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for sharing the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those are beautiful. I love how you framed each bird like that.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the idea of the photo corners! It reminds me of my mom and dad's photo albums of the 30 and 40's. That is beautiful fabric, you've showcased it picture perfectly !

    ReplyDelete
  27. Too cute. I lvoe the frame technique!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful spring birds! Thanks for the tutorial. Very innovative corners.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great pattern! I love your quilts and technique! Great idea for panels!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great idea! Thanks for sharing the tutorial.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Debby your wall hanging is wonderful. Thank you for the tutorial on how to do those corners. They are so pretty for framing your birds. Thank you for sharing your lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Debby, the birds are sweet and I love the photo corners. I have a quilt in planning process for which they would be a great framing alternative to curved triangles ("inspired by ..."). See you Thursday evening at the Cleveland Expo. Safe travels. (janeherbst at roadrunner dot com).

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful idea for this quilt, I like this design very much!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thy are georgeous! I like the put a frame you around them. Thank you for the pattern. That frame could work for almost anything.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love this photo corner technique. Thank you so much for sharing it and showing it done in those beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  36. this s SOOOO pretty. thanks for showing us how you did it. I just love the curved corners.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful quilt! Love the swirly corners! And thanks for all of the inspiration throughout the whole hop!

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is very unique with the photo corner technique and thank you for sharing your template. This Tree Bird quilt is stunning. Thank you sew very much for Tree Bird Hopping and participating. Creative Bird Bliss...

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a nifty treatment and you make it look so easy! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  40. That's a super sweet bird quilt! Thank you for sharing your techniques. I loved how you did your fussy cutting and will use it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love the bird fabric, and the way you framed it in these blocks is inspired. Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  42. wow! you make it look so easy I'm amazed! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I am going to have to find me some bird fabric.Thank you Debby for the pattern,your quilt is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thank you so much, Debbie. Perfect size for practicing my machine quilting and also beautiful Benartex fabric. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I love the fabrics you put together with the birds. It's amazing how different the birds look with each colored corner, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  45. Beautiful! I just love the Christmas birds.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I love your bird blocks. Great tutorial on framing and highlighting the bird fabric. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Beautiful project and thank you so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Beautiful project and thank you so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  49. It is NOT April yet, so my Galaxy of Stars block is not up. Check back tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com