Thursday, March 5, 2015

One More Double Wedding Ring Quilt (and free pattern)

I keep discovering quilts I made so long ago, already gifted and forgotten about. Remember, I was an editor for Quilt Magazine for 14 years! All that meant was that as fast as I could sew, my quilts were published. I really didn't "edit". I just created! Hundreds of quilts and even more how-to articles. I loved working for Quilt (no longer in publication) because they didn't take over my designer rights. I own ALL THE RIGHTS to all the projects I've ever made. That means I can share them freely on this blog.

Here is a little quilt that still makes me smile. It appeared in the 2003 issue of Quick Quilts Magazine (and on the cover, too). This collection of fairies and blenders is from Benartex Fabrics. Don't you just love this?

Double Wedding Ring quilt: 30" x 30"
The large melon shapes are of a single fabric (and not pieced). Yes, there is curved piecing but not as much as you might think. And, guess what? Because I was the Queen of Shortcuts, I decided that I would make the center and then applique the entire four block unit to the light blue background square! Clever, huh?

Yes, I did say FREE PATTERN. Why not download it and try your hand at this four block quilt. The blocks are 15" (and overlap). Making just four blocks might take "Double Wedding Ring Quilt" off your bucket list, right?

Click this link and the 7 page pdf is yours: Fairy Double Wedding Ring Quilt




8 comments:

  1. Thank you Debby, it is beautiful.
    I made a queen size Double Wedding Ring - with lots of photos - for my grand-daughter, so now I am looking forward to doing this one for me (and darling hubby) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color play on this one, Debby! The saturated blue of the bands is especially striking. My blue-and-yellow sister would love it! Thanks for sharing! (janeherbst at roadrunner dot com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Debby for the wonderful quilt pattern..This is going on my must make list for this year...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Debby love the colors in the quilt.You make it look very doable.Am going to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A few years ago I decided that it was time to learn curved piecing. A friend gifted me Drunkard Path templates, and I had a set of Double Wedding Ring templates as well. It is not as hard as one thinks it is. Try it, you might like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the colorway and the design in this quilt. Thanks for the pattern.

    senstrings(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the pattern. Lovely quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How pretty that is! I remember Quilt very well, and it was a favorite of mine. I miss it because of the great quilts that were pictured and patterned there. I didn't know about their great publication rights policy, but I like it! Thanks for sharing the pattern to a really pretty quilt! I'm imagining you used the templates you showed us last month? A friend and I are thinking about buying them. All we need is time to do the quilt then. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com