Saturday, August 1, 2015

Galaxy of Stars August Block of the Month

August is here and that means the summer is coming to a close. I love the sunshine but, not the heat. The August block is called "54-40 or Fight" and has something to do with a line drawn somewhere in the USA back in the 1800s. Who remembers the famous history lesson here?

All I know is that this is a very popular, traditional block:

54-40 or Fight Block
This block uses the templates from the April Block: Grandma's Star  or May Block: Irregular Star. The paper piecing pattern is also included in this month's pdf. Just print 4 copies.

If you've been keeping up, we are over half done with the blocks. In early Fall I will include cutting directions for the sashing so you can begin getting all the parts lined up to finish the quilt after the last block reveal.

Here is the pdf for 54-40 or Fight Block. Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. thank you Debbie, so far not started but have got my background fabric and I am sure my stash will provide the rest I need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for another lovely block and the PP part for the triangles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I'm planning to use Patrick Lose fabrics from RJR for this quilt, but am too busy with other projects to start this until next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the next block. I love the block, and I know that history. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Debby,
    Thanks for the latest Stars block. I'm nowhere near "keeping up" but look forward to doing the blocks some day. I do very much remember the 54-40 history lesson. It wasn't the first time nor the last time in our nation's history that someone drew a line and refused to budge. For good or bad many quilt inspirations have resulted from humanity's failure to learn history's lessons!! BTW I do like how a variation of this block plays in "Storm at Sea" especially with the pops of poppy-red. (janeherbst at roadrunner dot com).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was wondering if the stars were red or orange. In the picture they look Orangeburg in the directions it says red. I know you I can do what I want but was curious if anyone else noticed the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look forward to the first of the month to get the next block! I make it right away and store it in there own project box. It has been a frustrating summer as a couple days after I printed out June's I sprained my wrist & all 5 fingers, dislocated my elbow and broke the radial bone head of my dominant hand. I am currently doing physical therapy and will add occupational therapy this wk. Being able to use my fingers, turn my wrist, etc. to cut and sew the June, July, Aug.,& Sept. BOM before the Oct BOM arrives is the carrot mentally dangling in front of me to do all the exercises everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw what Peggy Clark saw. I made it using red. I'm not sure it will matter.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com