Thursday, February 25, 2016

Revisiting Sunbonnet Sue - and Free Pattern

I'm currently sewing a quilt I designed using Sunbonnet Sue and Overall Sam blocks. There are 9 in the sampler and will be a pattern offered through Keepsake Quilting catalog. I am using a new Feedsack Collection from Windham Fabrics.

About two years ago I shared a tiny pillow I made using an orphan block and some ruffles. Here she is:
Little block became a tiny ruffled pillow!
And here is a Sunbonnet Sue quilt I made using my embroidery machine (Pfaff, older model). The fabric in the border is authentic 1930s feedsack material.

So you can see how really tiny that pillow is!
Here is one of my Sunbonnet Sue patterns on Craftsy:

Sunbonnet Sue in the Garden
And I actually made a bed sized quilt many years ago and it appeared in Quilt Magazine.
Bed sized Sunbonnet Sue quilt
Here's a sneak peek at one of the 9 blocks that will be a pattern for Keepsake in late Spring.

Windy City Sue
I designed a block for a quilt shop in Atlanta when I lived there about 10 years ago. I call it Red Hat Sue. You can have this pattern for a limited time (which means I will be taking it down in a week or so). Who remembers all the Red Hat phase that was quite popular a few years ago? Sue will never grow old, so why is she wearing that hat? ("When I'm old I will wear purple . . .")

This applique fits on a 10.5" or 12.5" background square
The FREE pattern is a one page pdf for tracing the full size patches. It is assumed you know something about applique - whether it be hand or raw edge (machine) applique. Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. such a lovely variety of Sun Bonnet Sue`s they never date thanks for the freebie

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for the pattern. i love your projects. my mom was so into the red hat at the time. i wound up making her a lot of different things with them.
    quilting dash lady at comcmast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute pattern. Thanks. Red Hat ladies are still around. Some groups are more visible and active than others, but they are out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Windy City Sue....can't wait for her to be seen in that cute little hat..and that log cabin block around her is just lovely.....Thank you for the pattern I have an old template of Sunbonnet Sue done up as a play actor for story telling...all in yellows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your Windy City Sue! I look forward to seeing that block. I've always loved Sues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, your windy sue block is adorable too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com