Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Revisiting Shot Cottons with Windham Fabrics

I've shared these before but I just love the colors and the way they look when when stitched up. I prefer shot cottons to plain solids. Shot cottons have two colored threads woven together so they can almost seem to have a sheen. Let's look at my bundle from Windham:

Artisan Cottons by Windham Fabrics
Of course, they don't look so neat anymore! That's because I've been chopping and stitching up some blocks. I've shared these before, but let's revisit them!

My paper pieced Palm/Hosannah blocks:

Four 10" Palm Blocks
I shared making this South Carolina Block back in 2015:

South Carolina Block with borders
This is a PAPER PIECED pattern for a 12" block. (I added the borders later). You can have the FREE pattern: South Carolina Star. If you look closely at those points and odd shaped patches, if you want to convert this to templates - be my guest! Paper piecing gives me accuracy every time.

Here is a Rail Fence quilt I made last year, thinking a magazine might pick it up. Nope! Their loss, I guess. This is just 2-1/2" strips sewn together and cut apart into 6-1/2" wedges. I love how the colors float between those two cream strips, don't you? No pattern. But you can figure this out, I know.

Shots and Strips quilt
I thought this was pretty modern. But to quote a certain magazine (that features modern projects and has picked up several of mine in the past few years): "We're sorry, but this doesn't meet with our editorial goals at this time."

Here is a digital image of my patches. The cream strips are cut 2-1/2" (as are the colored fabrics). The 'border" is just random 2-1/2" squares and cream rectangles.

Shots and Strips quilt block layout
I hope you'll consider shot cottons the next time you are in the market for solids.

10 comments:

  1. Love the shots and strips quilt! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the colors, is the pattern for the palm/hoshannas in your calander and if not, is it available somewhere else?
    thanks, shoshana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Shoshu. That Palm block is not in my calendar. I plan on releasing a multi-size pattern soon. It is paper piecing and I have done it in 6", 7", 10" and 12". And I have it in 3, 4, and 5! So, won't that be a fun package? I'll keep you posted.

      Delete
  3. Debby, I never heard of shot cottons. I love learning new terms! I agree, the magazine missed out by not picking it up but we benefit and enjoy. I'm going to share on my blog, if you don't mind. HAHAHA - that is rather funny since it's only about a week old. I need to share the shot cotton information and your cute quilt. I will watch for your fabric line! ~smile~ Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty nice! Love Shot Cottons, and especially enjoyed seeing your Shots and Stripes quilt done up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the use of the solids and the designs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Debby! You always inspire me with your blocks and quilts! I still have not had the opportunity to create the potholders with your wonderful tutorial; yet, it is right where I can see it! Thank you for everything that you share! Plus, you are so right it is the magazines loss for not publishing that great rail fence quilt! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brenda. I always enjoy the kind words about my work and finally found a way to reply to the posts. (My desktop won't let me do it; now my laptop allows me). I've had MANY "pink slips" from magazines. I learned to keep going. I sew for myself first and if a magazine likes it, fine. If not, I share it online. Thanks again for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I like those fabrics, too. In fact, I like just about any Windham fabric. The rep at QuiltCon assured me they will keep making my traditional fabrics. =) I did like some of what they were showing there for their new lines, though, that weren't traditional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Susan. I''ve been sewing for Windham for about 12 years and they were very traditional (only) for the longest time. There is a STRONG following for their traditional fabrics and they know it. Check out their web site for so many awesome, beautiful lines. I love what they do with the reproductions.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com