Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Three Applique Blocks to Color

Here is a quilt I made about 20 years ago from some orphan blocks my editor gave to me. She said, "Go do something with these." And, I did! This still hangs in my house and I look at it each morning in my dressing area.
Three Tulips Quilt
This quilt with the peach setting triangles and borders was also a set of orphan blocks. They were appliqued on point in the squares, so all I had to do was separate them with floral sashings and add the rest to square them up. I don't remember who I gifted this to; I hope it is hanging somewhere and being appreciated for its beauty. (Remember, I did not make these blocks!)

Peach Baskets and Blooms Quilt
 I came across some of the artwork I created for both of these quilts. This dates back about 20 years, too! The pattern fills are a bit dated, but the flowers and applique elements are timeless, right?

Blooms Block #1
 Maybe you'd like to color it with your own hues and tints.
Color Me! Blooms Block #1
 Here is a lovely basket block with a single bloom.

Color Me! Basket Block with Single Bloom
And a coloring page if you're interested.

Color Me! Basket Block with Single Bloom
 And a third block: basket with two blooms.

Color Me! Basket Block with Two Blooms

The black and white line drawing to download and color:

Color Me! Basket with Two Blooms


This is what they look like together in my digital file. Not like the real quilt at the top of the page, but I simplified the assembly for another lesson (long ago and in another time when I was an editor with Quilt Magazine).

I agree with most of the comments I've gotten on the coloring pages: quilters just want to play with the REAL fabric and not take precious quilting time to color paper! But sometimes a pattern or a block captivates you and you want to see what it would look like in real fabric before cutting into said fabric. I hope you enjoyed seeing two of my older quilts made with even older blocks.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for these pages. I enjoy quilting AND colouring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely idea, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Debby! I am in love with these quilts and the blocks that make up the quilt! Of course, I am a flower kind of nut big time. LOL. I may not be able to draw them or even remember the names of very many, but I do have an abundance of flower fabrics. LOL. Thank you for sharing these beautiful quilts and especially lovely and fun block coloring pages to color. I hope that you have a great day!


    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss Quilt magazine. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you...Love coloring and sometimes quilt....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for these coloring pictures along with the views of quilts that the pictures can be applied to. I really relax when I am coloring and to think that quilts could come out of it is a huge plus. Thank you. Keep me on your mailing list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always enjoy whatever you show. Also, applique is a little different from piecing. Sometimes I do color a pieced pattern, to see how coloring different sections affects what shows in the end. Applique really needs color in specific places to see how nicely they play together. I don't use any quilting software, so it's crayon and paper for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com