Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Log Cabins (again) and FREE pattern

I was reminded of a quilt I featured here last year that was published in McCall's Quilting Magazine. Do you remember Pixie Sticks? First the 6" blocks:

Off Center Log Cabin blocks
I was using a collection of 1930's prints from Windham Fabrics. They are so sweet (I know; some of you are rolling your eyes RIGHT NOW. You don't like 30s prints!) But this quilt pattern will work with any collection, so pull out your modern prints or your reproduction, or even solids. The key is in the strong contrast of the background white (which you can change to black or gray even).

I mixed a variety of Windham Storybook prints together. You can see the links to all of them here:
Windham Storybook prints.

And here's my finished quilt (42" x 50") as taken on my dining room table:
Pixie Sticks beautifully quilted by my friend, Connie Gallant
And the stylized photo as it appeared in McCall's. You can really see the beautiful quilting in this photo:
Pixie Sticks from the March/April 2016 issue
You can have the FREE pattern (if you didn't already know about this) here: Pixie Sticks

One of the editors, Kathy Patterson, blogs about it and shares a bigger size, too! I have made several more of the blocks and plan a second quilt sometime. Not today, but sometime!

9 comments:

  1. not seen log cabin blocks put together this way before they are certainly sye catching will popover to the link now thouugh I struggle with log cabin, rush in but need to check the size after each log is added as thry so easily go out of shape for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very nice change up to log cabins. I'm not a "30" fabric fan but this done in bright solids would be awesome

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Debby,
    I have often seen this pattern and even this photo on Pinterest but I did not know it was yours! Thank you so much for sharing the pattern with us. I would like to make one - maybe sooner than someday. I love the quilting and the fabrics you chose. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Debby! It's good to see this quilt again. Thanks again for the free pattern and the inspiration. My stash tells me the possibilities are endless! (janeherbst at roadrunner dot com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like that one, every time I see it, and think it's perfect in 30s fabrics. I like them, myself. There are only a couple of kinds of fabrics I don't care for, but when I see you use them, they look much better. LOL Thanks for the reminder about this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com