Layer Cake Pattern: Stained Glass Pickup Sticks

I designed and sewed this quilt more than 10 years ago, right when those 10" stack of squares began hitting the quilt store shelves. It is part of my Magic Stack series and I thought I would feature some of these now and then on my blog.

This first quilt (54" x 64") is a bit larger than the pattern size. The quilt in my Craftsy pattern is 52" x 62".

Stained Glass Pickup Sticks
I made this using 10-1/2" squares cut from batiks, but my pattern has been rewritten for 10" squares. This is so easy! I taught this as a workshop for a few years; let me show you a few of my other quilts.

This 8 block table runner was our project for a half-day workshop. Students could expand their quilts with more squares.
8 Block Table Runner
 Then, I took a stack of some Asian inspired prints from Blank Quilting, and created this 16 block quilt. Don't you just love those thin black strips - looks like stained glass, doesn't it?

16 Block quilt center
 Then I created this using slightly wider strip inserts. I used a Timeless Treasures collection from about 7 years ago. It was beautifully quilted by Kathy Gray and was auctioned at my guild's fund raiser a few years ago.
Pickup Sticks using happy Spring colors
You can get your copy of Stained Glass Pickup Sticks at my Craftsy store. Stay tuned for more of these to show up here. And come back tomorrow for a tutorial on what to do with those 5" charms you've been hoarding.

Comments

  1. Hi Debby,
    What?!! You think we hoard charm packs?!! HAHA - you certainly know me to a T. I love your stained glass window especially the first one. It resembles a real window I have seen. Beautiful. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com