The Red Hat 2019 BOM is Here!

I've been working on these blocks for two weeks now (not full-time, of course!). I wanted to have all 9 blocks finished before launching this new Block of the Month.

Here is the Stepping Out Quilt that uses the 5 different blocks (two are repeated). As I said last week, this was first a set of blocks I designed for Intown Quilters in Atlanta, Georgia in 2004. Then I incorporated them into my Block a Day calendars. I'm now shopping for a perfect blue for those sashings.

Stepping Out Quilt: 39" x 39". Block Size: 9"
These blocks are not free because, as you may remember, I've lost my Craftsy shop and am slowly migrating over to Etsy. I get charged fees on Etsy (and I am not complaining; that's how business runs!) These blocks will be $1.00 for the month in which they run. After that, they will be $3.00. I did that last year and I had no complaints. This was a lot of work (but fun work!)

Here is my Red Hat block.

January Block: The Red Hat
I gave this block away and got somewhat confused in my sewing room and began to make a second one using hot pink fabrics. But, you will understand my steps even if I used the wrong fabric (for awhile).

Freezer paper template:


Transfer template onto freezer paper and cut out; iron to right side of fabric
Iron fusible interfacing to wrong side of fabric. This will stabilize the raw edges for my machine appliqué.
I used fusible interfacing on the wrong side

Hat cut out; ready to cut out the purple plume

Two parts to the hat blocks
 Place and partially stitch the red hat; ready to add purple plume

Two hat parts
 I added the dimensional stitching on the hat, as you can see, before I added the purple plume.

Pinned and stitched
 Final hat in red. Buttons are added. You could just as easily stitch small yellow circles of fabric.

First block: Red Hat in the Stepping Out Quilt
The first installment of this BOM includes a picture of the Stepping Out Quilt (digital) and fabric requirements. It is a 2 page pdf with the full size, traceable templates for this Red Hat block.


Stepping Out Quilt and Red Hat Block

Comments

  1. Hi Debby! This BOM is so very tempting to me. A co-worker is a member of two red hat groups and is quite active. This would be the perfect idea for a quilt for her, but I just cannot start another project right now. Good thing it continues all year - I can always jump in later. Not to mention that she is also a tea lover, and could also start a tea cup quilt for her. Perhaps you two are sisters from different mothers?! I will certainly enjoy seeing these blocks released each month! Happy Saturday to you. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com