Delectable Mountains Quilts and FREE Pattern
Delectable Mountains is a vintage pattern that's been with us for at least 100 years. Traditionally pieced using templates for the triangles, I began to think of it from a different angle. I wrote a few instructional articles for Quilt Magazine 23 years ago (1999) that featured this block. I showed the various ways to arrange the blocks.
Here's the block and the templates that we offered in Quilt.
|5" Delectable Mountains block|
Then the variations:
Here are a few of my Delectable Mountains quilts that I've made with a simpler technique (and I'm still digging through my computer files to find my artwork!) The first was made with a collection called Inspiration by Blank Fabrics.
|Delectable Mountains using Inspiration|
Then I made one using some Kaffe Fassett fabrics the same year:
|Delectable Mountains. Center: 26" x 26". With borders, approx. 41" x 41"|
I have a lot of leftover units from that turquoise quilt above. I was playing around with their arrangement.
Here is the simple way I made these - no official pattern.
- I cut two 7-7/8" squares of contrasting fabrics and sewed along one diagonal to make two half-square triangle units that now measure 7-1/2" (unfinished). See the bottom of the next photo. That part is key, because now I need to cut this unit into 3rds - and you can divide 7-1/2" by 3: 2-1/2" slices.
- The two half-square triangles have to be arranged as shown at the bottom (the blue makes a "mountain")
|7-1/2" half-square triangle units cut into thirds|
- Then they are swapped as shown (within each set of units).
- Now the units measure 6-1/2" wide by 7-1/2" high (because you stitched 2 seams). Put together they form a rectangle measuring 7-1/2" x 12-1/2".
- For the two finished quilts above I cut a center square 12-1/2" x 12-1/2" and the four outside squares are cut 7-1/2" x 7-1/2".
|Cut half-square triangles as described above (2-1/2" x 7-1/2" strips)|
- Fat quarter (or long quarter) of each of TWO fabrics for the 7-1/2" x 12-1/2" units (my lavender speckled and blue/lavender floral)
- Fat quarter (or long quarter) of the four outside squares (my purple small floral print)
- Fat quarter for the center 12-1/2" square
- Quarter yard for inner border (I cut these 2" x wof)
- 3/4 - 1 yard for outer border
- 1/4 yard for binding