Modern by the Yard by Benartex

Stained Glass and Ruffles by Paula Nadelstern
I love color and was asked by Benartex to create an updated version of a traditional block. I immediately thought of Seven Sisters because I have been teaching that as a workshop for the past 2 years. My sample is VERY traditional looking, don't you think?

Traditional Seven Sisters Quilt
I thought "stars" and decided to tweak this 6 pointed star using my newest design, Double Star. I first made it in blues:
Double Star in Blues
With the bright Stained Glass and Ruffles fabrics and a neutral gray, I came up with this take on Double Star. It appears in the current issue of Modern by the Yard.

Modern Double Star
You can read about this quilt (and get basic directions for cutting and stitching it) and see several other awesome and modern quilts and projects by visiting the Sew in Love with Fabric blog. The link for the online eMagazine is at the top right sidebar.

I have a small pile of these 3-1/2" diamonds left over and decided to make a block from The New Hexagon book by Katja Marek. This is block #27, Victoria. Because these are rotary cut, the size of the diamond from flat side to opposite flat side is 3" finished. The block is now 12" x 13-1/2" (once it's finished). There is only one y-seam, so I didn't sweat too much!

Victoria in the garden with my blooms
I am in a diamonds mood and have several other creations to share in the coming weeks. But for now, go get inspired with Modern by the Yard!

Comments

  1. Your stars are very modern so you achieved your goal. The tumbling block is an absolutely perfect illusion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful fabrics. I am going to have to get some. I love both the Modern Double Star and the "Victoria" block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I did not see a blog post or a tutorial for the Modern Double Star on the Sew in Love with Fabric blog. May it isn't up yet.

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love the fabric collection shown at the top of your post Debby. And the Victoria Block is just awesome. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Learning to do set in seams is on my "to do" list. I LOVE that "block" block. Hee! Hee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.Fantastic projects and love the 3D effect.It`s great that there is only one Y seams,for me is tricky sew it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that's the fabric I just saw in Chattanooga last week! The shop owner said it was the first time she bought almost EVERY color in a line! I've been planning to go back and get more when I go to the Atlanta temple at the end of the month. I really love what you did with the stars, particularly the quilting on that second one, though the first one looks great, too. And I love the traditional version, as well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com