I love teaching about quilts. All workshops are based on projects, but I cover a LOT of tips, tricks and sewing techniques during the workshop time. Both 3 hour and 6 hour classes are available. Some are best in person; others are just fine in Zoom!
- Tight Knit Circles - Learn two methods of machine appliqué in this small and colorful quilt with a modern appeal. It is based on the vintage "Roses of Picardy" pattern. The interlocking circles are interfaced and turned for a smooth curved edge. The free-form cut wavy borders utilize fusible interfacing to stabilize their raw edges. All stitching is by machine ONLY and you will be delighted to see how fast, fun and easy these two techniques are.
|Tight Knit Circles: 17" x 17"|
- Baby Blocks - The traditional Baby Blocks pattern uses 60 degree diamonds and is stitched using a y-seam. My Baby Blocks technique takes out that y-seam altogether. Click the link and see other samples in two different sizes!
- The Modern Vortex Quilt - Using strips in two colors and a common Dresden Plate template, you can make your version of this historic quilt. Click link for details. (Either 3 or 6 hour class)
- Patty's Summer Parasol: This vintage pattern from the 1930s is really a double wedding ring variation. Click the link and see the various parts. (Either 3 or 6 hour class)
|Patty's Summer Parasol|
- Big Block Hexagons - This is a great way to stitch through those stacks of 10" squares (Layer Cakes). Or pre-cut strips! Works well in a 3 hour class.
|Big Block Hexagons|
- Gretchen - No templates. Just two sizes of triangles. Click the link to read more about this EASY quilt with so many color possibilities. Works very well for a 3 hour class.
Gretchen: 58" x 58". 9" blocks
- Bubbles and Hexagons - This is a great scrap buster. You can use Jelly Roll strips (2-1/2") or even Layer Cakes (10" squares). Click the link to see several samples. NO y-seams! Works well for a 3 hour class.
|Bubbles and Hexagons|
- Half Hexagon Braid - I first created this quilt in 1998. I decided to bring it back as a workshop in 2011 and have taught it dozens of time. Check out the other samples by clicking that link. This works well in a 3 hour time frame.
Half Hexagon Braid
- One Day Lone Star - Quick rotary cut diamonds. Easy side setting triangles and squares either using set in seams or not - your choice! See 2 other quilts by clicking that link. All day class. (can be split over 2 days)
|One Day Lone Star (see several examples!)|
- Buzz Saw - A Dresden Plate variation using my own custom designed super-sized, multi-sized ruler. Easy to cut and stitch and then appliquéd to the background for a very modern looking quilt. Click that link to see several quilts done as variations, too! Best in 4 or 6 hour class. (can be split over 2 days)
|Buzz Saw and variations|
- Double Hexie Star - Big blocks with large hexagon centers that are perfect for special motifs! One is a table topper. More become quilts. Check out the other samples! (Either 3 or 6 hour class)
|Double Hexie Star Workshop|
- New York Beauty - Not for the timid, but certainly doable for the motivated. Composed of 3 different blocks, the traditional New York Beauty's sharp points are possible with paper piecing. Beautiful quilting by Jane Hauprich! All day class (can be split over 2 days).
|New York Beauty (pieced by me)|
- Pyramids and Jewels - Two quilts for the price of one. We make Thousand Pyramids in the morning session using a Charm Pack (5" squares) and a background fabric. The afternoon class is the Fractured Jewels quilt using the LEFTOVERS from cutting the Thousand Pyramids. Click the link to see samples. All day class (can be split over 2 days)
- Seven Sisters without y-seams! Click the link to see several more samples. Works best in 4 or 6 hour class.
|Seven Sisters - make in a multitude of fabric colors|
- Ezekiel's Crown: Satisfy your desire to learn both paper piecing and working with curved units to create this dynamic Ezekiel’s Crown quilt. All day class.
- Pickle Dish - Well, it's really a FAT Double Wedding Ring and the curved unit is paper pieced. Click the link to see a few more samples.
|Four Block Pickle Dish quilt|
The following workshops are also available. Just click on the links to see the various quilts. Send any questions or ask for a Supply List by sending me an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cloissoné Diamonds (Diamonds and 4-Patch) - Students get the choice of a variety of sizes. The supply list gives details on yardages and a planning sheet. Small Christmas wall quilt, Medium lap quilt, or large bed quilt. Rotary cut 60 degree diamonds and triangles and NO y-seams make this doable for all skill levels.
- Twisted Hexagons - Did you know that your common, 60 degree ruler can cut both whole and half hexagons, besides the 30 and 60 degree triangles? Well, yes it can and everything in this quick and easy block is cut from one ruler. A variety of sizes: table runner, table topper or even a child's size quilt or a lap quilt!
|Twisted Hexagon workshop information|
- Circle of Geese - Wow!! Such a big block and so easy to piece. The circle of geese is foundation pieced. One full circle (Quilt #1, Quilt #2) comprises of 8 separate units of 3 geese each. These quilts (Quilt #3, Quilt #4) split the circle for more manageable sections. The quarter circles and the outer background pieces are sewn with the geese rings - gentle and easy curves (because they are so big.) And my latest Circle of Geese with Geese Borders!
|My latest Circle of Geese quilt|
- Sassy Mariner's Compass - Forget traditional colors and fabrics! Pull out your stash of wild and crazy prints and take a dive into the world of paper piecing a LARGE block. Sharp points, gentle curves, even a halo of little triangles make this a block with a lot of punch! If you can sew a straight line and a true 1/4" seam, you can make this. Nothing to fear, everything to learn for a 22" block and a 38" quilt! Supply List here.
|Sassy Mariner's Compass|