More Sun, More Time to Quilt

Welcome to the first day of our American Daylight Savings Time. I don't like that it comes early in March. I love having daylight at 6 am and now it will be dark again! I get up early and have enjoyed the NATURAL coming of the sun.

I have been finding leftover blocks (what? You don't have any?) that I abandoned and am trying to see if I can make something useful from them. You know I've had to be creative!

"Leftover from what" you may ask. Well, this is what I called "Descending" from my book Paper Piecing Perfect Points (2013, Martingale).

Descending: 56" x 56"
I think it looks like a colorful sun with shining rays, don't you? When you write a quilting book, most publishers ask that you send them a sample block (along with ALL the other stuff: finished quilt, instructions, artwork, templates, etc) so they can scrutinize it up close and personal. I have also taught this as a workshop, so I had some leftovers.

I cut my patches and printed my foundations:

Background fabrics with brights for my points
These are SUCH SHARP POINTS! I used some leftover 2" strips from another project to make these.

Four paper pieced quarter circles
Then I had some of those skinny donuts in dark pink and turquoise. Notice how I pin the straight ends. I always place an extra pin on the sides to keep them from shifting once I start to sew.
Pinning the donut to the foundation pieced quarter circles

Now let's see how cutting the background fabric. I had a little bit of the original fabric leftover in a light print and only enough for two in the darker print. This is how I challenged myself to get creative. Can I mix the two? Let's find out!

I made my freezer paper templates and cut out four from the light print.

This is how I flip flop my freezer paper template
And up close:
Cutting fabric layered so I can cut two at once
Then how do the parts look like together into one block?

Descending block with light background
And one of the original colorings:

Descending block with dark background
Wait a minute! There's a hole at the bottom of those blocks! Not to worry. I fussy cut two circles and interfaced them so I could appliqué them over those holes!

Circle interfaced
 My little circles ready to put on those centers:

Interfaced and turned circles
 Sew the block units together and adding some plain (floral) squares. NOW I add the circles.

After stitching over the hole
I squeezed the life out of my fabrics. As you can see, I didn't have enough to make that bottom, righthand space a block so I made it a floral square. I had a piece of this awesome Jane Sassaman fabric for the border and I'm pretty proud of myself. What do you think?

New version of Descending
The quilt center is 30" x 30". It looks like it would welcome Daylight Savings Time, don't you think?

You can find the 7 page pdf pattern on my Etsy pattern site, in full color with all foundations and templates ready to print. What a fun use for skinny, leftover strips!


Comments

  1. Oh my gosh!! Wednesday was SO MUCH FUN! You are such. A great teacher and I am now hooked on paper piecing. I am definitely going to try this block. I’ll keep you posted on the rest of the projects we discussed. Hope dinner with “youngest” was awesome and she loved the shepherd pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Judy. Good thing I know who this is (because your email doesn't come thru with your post). You were an awesome assistant and I saw you rush to help students before I could get to them the whole day! Paper piecing is a love-hate relationship and is also VERY SLOW. (For those of you who have no clue what I'm talking about - Judy and I were at the Atlanta Sewing Expo and she was my Bernina assistant. Judy and I go WAY back!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, fantastic block and quilt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I always love these types of challenges the best. They make me think "outside the block!" I think a little girl will like all those flowers.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful....love your creativity....

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I said above in reply to Rosa, I love these sorts of quilt challenges! I think I like working with leftovers and scraps more than matching yardage. And you can bet I have LOTS of leftovers in all those Chobani boxes I shared last week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning on this sunny Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We don't have sun where I live; just clouds. But the sun is up there and smiling at us down here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can hardly wait for the warmer weather since it has been cold in our neck of the woods in Illinois. However, I am back sewing after a stint of radiation. I love this quilt and especially the black background with flowers. That really pops the color in the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com