BIG Block Stars - 6 Quilts, Same Block

When I say BIG BLOCK, I mean a very big block. How big? How's 30" x 30"? I would call that a big block, wouldn't you?

This is the first one I made in 2008 using a Halloween fabric collection of fat quarters. It appeared in my second book Supersize 'Em Quilts.

Trick or Treat Mice: 42" x 42". 30" center block
I supersized this single block quilt to a 4 block quilt and used a lovely LakeHouse collection (not fat quarters here). It also ran in my Supersize 'Em Quilts book. I called it Starry, Starry Brights. I gave it to the mother of my daughter's best friend who had a bad spill and broke her arm. It certainly cheered her up! And the quilt was VERY happy to get out of the closet, you can be sure.

Starry, Starry Brights: 80" x 80"
Then, when it was time to feature some new collections for Windham Fabrics (who only sends me fat quarter bundles), guess what pattern came to mind? You guessed it!! This next quilt was made with Cottage Joy two summers ago.

Big Block Star using Cottage Joy fat quarters
I love to piece my quilt backs. Here is the back of the quilt. I used one of the fat quarters in the center. Notice my label - I capture it in the corner with the binding. No hand work!!

Back of Cottage Joy Quilt
Here are two digital quilts I designed. Same pattern. This time in Christmas fabrics.

Holly Jolly Star
Big Block Star using Storybook Americana fabrics
And my most recent finish (though I made the top 2 summers ago). This was made with fat quarters from Oh, Christmas Tree fabric - again, by Windham. First, just the block.


Then with borders, quilted and bound with a black and gray stripe.

Oh, Christmas Tree quilt with borders: 44" x 44"
This collection came with a fabulous panel. Do you remember this?


Large panel that was destined to go on the back
And that's what I did! Can you imagine a child having fun looking at BOTH the front and the back. Better not let him or her take it to nap time. There won't be any napping going on, will there?!

Panel on the back of Oh, Christmas Tree.
You can find the 15 page Big Block Stars Pattern Bonanza in my Etsy shop ($6.99)! I have 3 separate patterns in there: the large 80" x 80" four block quilt, the pattern for my Halloween quilt, and the Holly Jolly Christmas quilt. It's been one of my favorite "go-to" patterns over the years, and I think you'll like it too. VERY fat quarter friendly (for the smaller quilts).


Comments

  1. I do like that star! When I buy the CD, I will have to get this pattern, too. I don't think I already have it. =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com