Don't Be Afraid to Piece Your Fabric

It happens to all of us: we run out of fabric and need just a little bit to complete a border or sashing. Don't be afraid to piece your fabric. I have done this dozens of times and it's never kept one of my quilts from being published - or even making the cover of a quilting magazine!

Case in point: I was ready to put borders on a quilt and discovered that I was short by about an inch. AN INCH!! Here's my Fun at the Zoo quilt using my Circles of Geese pattern.

Fun at the Zoo

Now, I want you to look closely. Can you find where I have pieced the border? I'll give you a hint: look at the top right.

Piecing from the front

And here it is from the back (so you can believe me). I could have done a better job, but in essence, the two patches are of the giraffe's body!

Piecing from the back

And, do you really think some little child will care? He/She is certainly not going to enter it in a quilt show! And neither will I. Circles of Geese is a playful quilt - not going in a quilt show!

I have several more quilts that are still tops that have quite a bit of piecing. When I present my trunk shows, I bring them along and show the quilts from the back. It makes people feel better about piecing! When you have to get a quilt to the finish line, you do what you have to do! And I didn't break any rules, either!

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Good to hear from you, Aby! My husband is NOT allowed to empty my sewing room trash can without my permission. More than once I rummaged in there for a small scrap from a current project that I needed to piece! It works, right?

      Delete
  2. Years ago INDYASG had a class on piecing. I have used many times. You have to look closely to find. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s such great advice, Debby! I’ve done this quite a bit, particularly if I’m using a fabric from years ago that I know I’ll never find again. Your quilt is beautiful. Love flying geese!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that extra bit of info regarding older fabric. It's true and we have to make do with what we have. Those little dancing zoo animals are happy that you like them!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com