Dancing Hearts Quilts

I designed a workshop class based on some digital patterns I had published in Quilt Magazine. Just a simple heart shape could dance across a large, plain background piece of fabric. This was a popular class in 2009 and 2010 for the Sewing Expo. I actually made kits for my students! The hearts were backed with fusible webbing and the students could decide how they wanted to express themselves based on a few ideas I gave them. This first one is what I call Dancing Hearts.

Dancing Hearts with 16 heart appliqués

The next one was a sample I showed with the same 16 hearts making four little groups. I had white and black backgrounds. This was on black. Added borders and gave it to some lucky child.

Dancing Hearts: 20" x 29"

Then I used some 1930s fabrics for a table runner. I cut out a LOT of these hearts! I used them to make some cards.

Then I used some for two runners:


And more hearts and a longer table runner which uses 32 hearts. What looks like a border is actually extra wide binding!


And one more. This adds some leaves for a different look. Had to get creative with my border fabrics, but I think it works. Again, another charity quilt.

Hearts and Leaves

I did use hearts on a quilt that I made for my first book (Bold, Black and Beautiful Quilts, 2004). I had purchased a little pack of precut hearts from the Keepsake Quilting Catalog in early 2000. I tried hand appliqué, but I gave it up before the first heart was formed! I switched to fusible webbing for raw edge appliqué. My first one had orange for the background squares!

Jeweled Keepsake Hearts quilt

So many ways to use simple hearts in quilting. I don't have any of these living with me anymore, but I'm sure they are making someone feel loved!

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Lots of ideas, right Nancy? You can't go wrong with these simple shapes. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com