Scrappy Hexagons and More

You never know what you'll discover when you open a drawer in my sewing room! I find projects in process tucked in plastic ziplock bags and the fabrics start calling my name. Several years ago I bought a charm pack precut into hexagons. 

Pre-cut hexagon charms and 1-3/4" papers

I found that 1-3/4" papers fit perfectly with those charms. I think I purchased 4 packs of these in various prints. I combined the fabrics with some blenders and cut those using my triangle ruler.



This is how I cut my hexagons for EPP. I don't have to be exact, but this gives me at least 3/8" seam allowance all around. If I'm unsure of the cutting size I pull out construction paper or other scrap paper and practice cutting on that. If I make a cutting mistake, it's just paper!


I began stitching them using my favorite technique - no glue, no sewing through the papers.


I decided to make my Grandmother's Flower Garden (GFG) Variation with the extra 2 hexagons out on the sides.

Four GFG Variation blocks

I really don't have plans for these yet. But since I'm running out of those solid colors and can't find any remnants in my sewing stash, I may remove the outside hexagons and just use the solids in the centers of the blocks.

I've transferred them to my Needle Book. I think I shared this last Winter. This is my second one and I used some Kaffe Fassett prints for the inside and outside.

Needle Book outside

And here are the pockets inside. I used scraps of batting for my "pages."

Needle Book inside

I always have this sort of hand sewing ready in a little carry bag for those times I need something to do while waiting or riding in a car (not driving, mind you!) I'll be teaching English Paper Piecing this Summer in a local quilter's retreat (Mid Appalachian Quilter's Retreat) in Gettysburg, PA. I make up little kits for a variety of shapes and sizes and blocks. 

First, I always begin with a simple Grandmother's Flower Garden. I show lots of samples of how to incorporate them into quilts. These are appliquéd to background hexagons. No y-seams, of course!


Then I show how to combine hexagons with other shapes (diamonds, triangles, etc). This is my very special Bev Fox. I have kits with fussy cut animals for those center 2" hexagons.

Bev Fox table mat

I still have some of these animals left (but just a few). They are from the Wild Woods Collection by Windham Fabrics.


And a few more ideas with hexagons and diamonds. Aren't these so sweet?


If you live on the East Coast and are within driving distance of Gettysburg, PA, check out the MAQ retreat in mid July!

Comments

  1. I love the fussy cut centers of the hexagons. They are so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fox table mat and birds & diamonds hexagon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com