Upcoming Classes

Quilters still want to take classes - both via Zoom and in person. I have 3 classes in the next few weeks that are such fun to both teach and make quilts for. This class is for the McLean Quilters Unlimited here in Virginia and will happen next Tuesday!

Twisted Hexagons class sample

Twisted Hexagons is an all-time favorite and the first class I developed for the Zoom format back in 2020. I pulled my hair out trying to work with various cameras and lighting and all the bells and whistles. I finally settled on lots of videos of the steps and a few Power Point slide shows that give even more detail. 

I've made the Twisted Hexagons blocks into several quilts - both fussy cutting the centers and also just letting the fabric do the talking. Here's a block using a special motif from my Kaffe Fassett stash.

Twisted Hexagon block

Then I'm traveling to Richmond, VA to teach my Modern Vortex class. This guild wants to concentrate on the multi-colored vortex (as opposed to my original, two color quilt). Fine with me! Here's the first one made by Jane Hauprich in a class several years ago. She is a master quilter, too!

Jane's Modern Vortex in rainbow colors

This is a variation on a traditional Dresden Plate quilt. You probably have one of those wedge rulers in your sewing room! Here's my first Vortex made using red and white. I've made it in blue and white and have had students make it in black and white, too!

Modern Vortex

Then on March 11 I will be teaching (and lecturing) locally here in Virginia for the Virginia Consortium of Quilters out in Manassas. They chose The Gretchen Quilt for our workshop.

The Gretchen Quilt: 45" x 45"

The 9" blocks are made using squares - no templates! Easy and quick and a great stash buster. They dance across the face of the quilt and you can appreciate the beauty of the prints by using a variety of solids.

Here's the first one I made almost 20 years ago for Quilt Magazine. I stayed with a red, black and white theme. I gave this to a friend and neighbor when I lived in Atlanta.

Gretchen Quilt

I have a LOT of samples to share with my students. I know they will enjoy seeing how just about any fabrics work with this easy to make pattern. And did I say there are NO templates?!

Comments

  1. Ah, I'd love to take all three just for the fun of it. Someday, I am determined we will be in the same place at the same time. BTW, I made the first two blocks to crazy quilt the diamonds - well, two half blocks that make a half hexagon. I've pinned on some lace and stitched the base of one seam. Did I mention I'm slow? =) I loved being able to cut with the ruler, once I figured out just the right size, and I'm enjoying the whole process ... but I doubt I finish in a year. I really enjoyed using your pattern and instructions, though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com