Flowers, Hexagons and Mother's Day

I cut and stitch and sew whatever my little brain decides. I look at a stack of fabric and it whispers to me (honest, but don't call the men in white coats!) This little quilt began on a cross country trip for teaching. I used 3/4" hexagons to create little Grandmother's Flower Garden blocks (GFG). Then I appliquéd them to hexagon backgrounds. First the little GFG blocks. This one was stitched at 35,000 feet flying home from Des Moines.

GFG using 3/4" hexagons (on an airplane tray at 35,000 feet!)

Another block from the back with the papers still on


Papers are easy to remove using those punched holes.

And one after removing the papers

I cut larger hexagon backgrounds and then appliquéd the blocks on. And I will not have any y-seams!

Wrong side of an appliquéd GFG unit

I did this to six blocks and added some setting triangles . . .

Six hexagon blocks with green setting triangles pinned

Press the triangles, and then I'll stitch them into a circle The 7th center hexagon will be interfaced and then appliquéd over that center hexagon hole. No kidding!

Auditioning my hexagon ring

Let's see the center hexagon again. I used a piece of interfacing (NON-fusible) and stitched 1/4" around the entire hexagon.
Hexagon stitched to interfacing

Clip the interfacing and turn right side out. Now the raw edges are neatly turned under!

Clip into interfacing so I can turn it
 
Hexagon turned right side out. This will fit over the center hole!

Center hexagon
Not a single y-seam! All straight seam sewing. Added 30 degree side triangles (gray floral) and borders. Isn't she sweet! And this looks an awful lot like the one I shared the other day using the Legendary Loves fabric! (Click that link to see that post if you missed it.)

20-1/2" x 23"

This is a sweet teaching sample I will use in my English Paper Piecing classes upcoming; one is in July with the MAQ retreat in Gettysburg, PA.

Next week I'll share one more quilt that uses this same technique and the same size hexagons. Hope to see you then! And if you're celebrating Mother's Day in any way, I hope these flowers bring a smile to your eyes!

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com