Under the Big Top!

More fun today with children's fabrics, designed by Kimberly Bourne for . . .
Benartex Fabrics
Under the Big Top valance and counting mats
You can see all the fabrics in this brand new collection here: Under the Big Top

This fun ensemble has several colorways and a variety of fun prints - dots, triangles, printed words and of course, animals. I cut apart the Counting Panel and added a variety of small motifs from another panel and tried to add them as they relate to the number on the panel. I was only able to finish 5 of them and will not bind them but zigzag around the outside edges. I free motion quilted these on my Pfaff 2144 with Fairfield Fusi-Boo (fusible batting which is a delight to work with).

Here are the panels up close:
The starting panel (6" center, 10" block)

Number 1 with a single motif (for counting) in the corner

Number 2 with 3-2-1 motif so child can identify the 2s

Number 3: 3 bears, 3 stars motif, umbrella with 3 panels

Number 4 with a clown holding 4 balloons
What about that valance? Well, it came off the counting panel (I think!) and once I got beyond making a quilt with it, I thought of curtains (maybe because my daughter was here last week and we were making valances for her new apartment?)
Panel is 9" x 42" to start
 I wanted to line the panel but all the coordinating prints showed through the white part. I used fusible interfacing on the panel back which solved my problem. It also gave it a very nice body. Then I used 1/2 yard of the ice cream print, stitched around 3 sides and turned it right side out. Pressed well. Stitched the bottom along the stripe to keep backing in the back!
Here is lining as it is sewn.
 I folded the remainder of the backing fabric around to the front, covered the raw edge of the top of the panel, stitched. And then stitched 1-1/2" from that stitching line for my rod pocket.
Isn't this the cutest panel for any child's room?
Thanks for visiting today.

Comments

  1. Cute, cute, cute! My Grandchildren would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debby,
    I love this project and am looking forward to making it for my nephew, but I cannot seem to find the rest of the blocks. You had mentioned that you were going to post the remaining panels the following week, but I simply couldn't find them. It could be that I am not looking in the right place, but if you have posted them please direct me to them. I am really new at doing things like that and am so excited to find something so cute that seems so simple as well, so I am encouraged.
    I did take a look at other items, and my, they are all really pretty. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com