The Lion Sleeps Tonight - But What About the Elephant?

No, those are not wrinkles in the fabric - just the elephant hide!

I lived in Africa for 3 years and I have wonderful memories. I met and married my Texan husband there and we visited a few game parks where we saw elephants, lions, cheetah, zebras, and many other dangerous animals. I designed this elephant appliqué several years ago for a Windham fabric collection and still had the freezer paper template. I dug it out, asked for a small piece of the elephant hide fabric and stitched this yesterday. (You can have this applique; more later).

 Can you believe all these wild animals?
The colors are so vivid in this fabric!
I plan on making an elephant pillow or small quilt with other animal motifs for my grandsons. But I wanted to do that one applique. I have to say that my memory of this elephant (and the monkey and giraffe) was triggered by the current issue of Stitch magazine (one of my absolute favorites!). There is an elephant applique pillow (my applique predates theirs by about 5 years) and some wonderful wild animal motifs.

Take a look at the other skin prints (I didn't say skin FLINTS) that Windham has. I think they're awesome.
Now, here is the link to the pattern for a different quilt using different fabrics. But there are 3 applique shapes: an elephant, a monkey, and a giraffe. Safari Adventures

Safari Adventures Quilt
Hope you enjoyed your African Safari visit today!

Comments

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed the Safari. A trip to Africa is my dream vacation. Lucky you! I adore elephants. My e-mail name is LEfuntz which reads elephants. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Africa can do two things to you. You can hate it (with a vengeance) or you can completely and utterly fall in love with it. I did the second option and can't wait to go back again. Thank you for taking us on this little safari!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! you have led such an interesting life, you should write a book! i am sure it would be a best seller. babscorbitt@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com