Nature's Message from My Azaleas

I think I got a message from God this morning about my color choices. I looked out my kitchen window at my jungle of a yard (if we owned this house we would nuke the backyard and start over). My azaleas are blooming and they are all in pinks and whites. Against the lush green backdrop I feel like I got an IM (instant message): "I love these colors. Go use them."

Unruly and beautiful azaleas in my backyard
I replied: I do use them and want to use them even more! Thanks for the confirmation.

I made a super sized Dresden Plate quilt a few months ago using a very old border print. A border print with a Dresden Plate ruler? Why, sure!

12-1/2" height Vortex Ruler
This Free Spirit border print is at least 10 years old, but still so pretty:

Very girlie, very pink border print
 And here is my pink and green quilt made using that border print:

30" center (I think); I used the 10" line on the ruler
When you use a Dresden ruler (any angle) with a border print you have to cut for two blocks to get one. That's because you are flip-flopping the ruler back and forth on the fabric. I squeezed the life out of this half yard of fabric. I loved putting it on that Spring Green dotted background fabric (Windham's .Com Collection). And the sweet bird border print was all I had left from 2-3 years ago sewing with a Benartex Collection (House and Home).

Here's my free motion quilting up close, done on my HandiQuilter Sweet 16 machine:

Let The Birdies Sing
More with Dresdens coming up soon. I have SO MANY quilts in a variety of styles and patterns that I'm thinking of having a Dresdens Page on this blog. Thanks for stopping by and seeing the azaleas-inspired quilt!

Comments

  1. I love how you run with inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Dresden quilt!!! That is magical.... You are so talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors. Someday I hope to own a Handiquilter Sweet 16.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colors. Someday I hope to own a Handiquilter Sweet 16.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooh my gosh!! GORGEOUS!!! You are sooo creative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is brilliant! This is fussy cutting plus!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm beginning to think I need that ruler - you have done SO many things with it! I love this quilt. Even in pink. =) I keep thinking about planting some azaleas ... and I keep doing nothing. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This quilt just looks so feminine and so creative. It is just sew pretty. I love it. You are very versatile with all your quilting ideas and the results are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful inspiration and beautiful quilt. Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your azaleas. The quilt is striking. I like how the striped fabric creates the more interesting design. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com