Revisting Butterflies

First, let me say CONGRATULATIONS to Annie R. of Michigan, who won the fat quarter bundle of Burlap Brights from the Blog Hop last week. I hope you've been able to visit each of the bloggers and enter to win for each post.

Today I was reminded of my tried-and-true Butterfly Block using dresden plate blades. This dates back to the early 2000s when I accidentally made these butterfly wings from a dresden plate block I oversized and then took apart incorrectly (don't ask!)

Here is the first quilt I made using authentic feedsacks:

Feedsack Butterflies Quilt
And then I remade the pattern for my book, Bold Black & Beautiful Quilts:

Butterflies at Night from Bold, Black & Beautiful Quilts
And now I'm working on a pattern for Windham Fabrics and Keepsake Quilting. Here is my prototype butterfly, using an older collection of their Storybook Collection:

Vintage looking butterfly

All ready for me to stitch down. No handwork! Not sure what angle this dresden plate wedge is, but it has worked for my other quilts. I'll keep you posted on this little 1930s gem.

Comments

  1. how I love these butterflies must have a go at these

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this butterfly! I have several thirties butterfly patterns, but nothing like this one. It looks good in all the fabrics you showed. It's fun to work with the real feedsacks, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love dresden butterflies and the fabric prints are perfect..

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Dresden Butterflies are great, Debby, and work nicely with so many fabrics! Smaller angles - 10-12? - would work also, and bring additional colors to play. Definitely have to add this one to the list! Thanks! (janeherbst at roadrunner dot com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These butterfly's are the sweetest...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I like that one Debby. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, those are so pretty! And I love 30s repros, so I can't wait to see the finished quilt!
    Sandy A

    ReplyDelete
  8. Accidentally? Great accident and a wonderful creative imagination. Beautiful to make; wish I had enough time. Emma

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your butterflies. The feedsack one is so pretty. A great way to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your butterfly blocks are so "vintage" looking! They are beautiful in both old and new fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Debby. Can you tell me what size block the dresden butterfly is, please? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline. I have no email address for you to reply. Hope you check back here! That is a 10" block.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Debby. I received your reply.

      Delete
  12. Is there a pattern? Or just play with it? Love the idea

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is this pattern still for sale. Keepsake Quilting has it advertised but it says out of stock. I have been trying to find this pattern forever. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pattern is available from me. I sell it for $7 plus postage. Send me an email. Your email doesn't show up here. Kratovil@his.com

      Delete
  14. Thank you Debby. I sent the e-mail.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love these so darn cute. Must try

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com