Windham Wednesdays: Flora!

I love playing with new fabrics. And I love getting fat quarters because it keeps my creativity under control. Windham Fabrics sent these a few months ago and I began planning and cutting but never stitched up my idea.

Flora by Kelly Ventura is a collection of modern watercolor florals.
Aren't those so yummy? I have stacked them and re-stacked them. Paired them in groups and generally played for a bit, dreaming up a simple way to showcase the fabrics.

I settled on Snail's Trail Star and made it super sized at 18" square.

Snail's Trail Star
This begins with a 4-Patch of the 5 fabrics I selected (4 main colors and a background fabric). (I share the free pattern at the end of this post, along with clear cutting instructions). Then four of the same fabrics are cut into triangles. These are sewn to the sides as shown.

Center 4-Patch with matching triangles, ready to be sewn
This is what it looks like sewn:
Sew on the triangles

Then larger half-square triangles are stitched with quarter square triangles so that the flow of each color "curves" around. The 3 horizontal rows are ready to be stitched.



And how about this nice, BIG block! I have enough fabric to make a few more, but I got sidetracked and began cutting for a second idea. (Yes, that's what it's like inside my head - always jumping to the next thing before I finish the first!)

Snail's Trail Star
Here is the one page pattern for Snail's Trail Star.

And here's a sneak peak of what I'm up to next. I have a kite template (part of the 60 degree angle family) and have been playing with those shapes in the past few weeks.

Flora Kite patches. Stay tuned!
This Snail's Trail Star is very fat quarter friendly. And, with just a few blocks you have a quilt in no time! Thanks for stopping by. And go take a look at the Flora Collection at the Windham Fabrics site. They are a lovely group of modern fabrics!

Comments

  1. the fabrics make a great snail trail.I tend not to buy fat quarters I like half metres or even better full metres must stop buying as |I will never get to use all my stash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great block, never spotted this block before. I like the movement the snail's trail gives to the star.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made one! It will be the center of a baby quilt. Boy did that take coordination not to sew pieces in the wrong place!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com