Quilt Along, Block Two

Are you still with us? How are your own blocks coming along? Here is our second block in the Benartex Everyone's a Star Quilt Along. I will also show you my steps in making that triangle pieced unit.

Stephanie's Block: 12" finished
 My method for stitching those 1/4 square triangle units is to cut two squares 1-1/4" larger than the finished size of the unit (4"). A white print and a red print square: 5-1/4" x 5-1/4". I drew lines along BOTH diagonals on the wrong side of the light print. Stitched 1/4" along both sides of ONE line. Cut them apart first on the NON-stitched line.

Stitched along ONE diagonal
 Then I cut along the other diagonal line:
Now I have four double-triangle units
 Can we see them? I now have two units of each orientation. I will only use the ones on the left.
All four units pressed open
 I combine a two-triangle unit with a black print triangle (cut from a 4-7/8" square):
A black triangle and a two-triangle unit ready to be sewn
 To make the whole block I use:

  • Four of the units above
  • Four squares cut 4-1/2" of one light print
  • One square cut 4-1/2" of a second light print (for the center)

Block parts with last two horizontal seams ready to be stitched
And the final block?
Stephanie's block!
Take a visit today to the next installment to see how Stephanie created her block using her collection. 2017 Everyone's a Star Quilt Along.

Comments

  1. Oh, this fabric is so pretty. I just love red, white and black and especially star blocks. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Debby! I especially am attracted to the white fabric with the black and red. The way that the lines flow and end with the red remind me of this flower (sorry I cannot remember the name) that would dance in the wind like this. Plus, I especially like your tutorial for this lovely star block. Thank you for sharing and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that reminder. I knew you had an easy way of doing those triangle pieces, but I couldn't quite remember it. I appreciate you, Debby! Your block is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the fabrics in the block. Got to get me some of them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com