Windham Wednesdays, Summer Solstice and Shoreline

It's here, it's here; the middle of the year. That means the Summer Solstice and (sigh) the days start getting shorter. But, we have 3 months of Summer and that means for many folks a visit to the shore/beach or whatever you call it.

Shoreline by Windham Fabrics is perfect for things "beachy." I decided to bring out my crab appliqué and see how he looked in that solid red fabric (hard to see in this pic, I know).

Shoreline Collection by Windham Fabrics
I transferred my half-pattern (because it's so big) to folded freezer paper and carefully cut him out. (OK; I don't know if it's a "he" or a "she."). I transferred fusible webbing to the wrong side of the red fabric, ironed my crab template to the RIGHT side of the fabric. Then I cut it out.

Crab appliqué template of freezer paper
 Doesn't he look awesome (and a bit scary with those claws!) on that khaki colored print?!!

Red Crab (9" x 11-1/2")
He's patiently waiting for me to figure out what I'm going to do. While I do that, I go and play with other fabrics! And since I'm in such an English Paper Piecing mood these days, I'm going to see if I can fussy cut some of these motifs!

Shoreline main print
I figured out that a 1-3/4" hexagon would be the best size to feature these motifs and so I made a window template out of - what else? - freezer paper! I did have some 1-3/4" hexagon papers in my stash (I ONLY use papers from Paper Pieces).

Fussy cutting two of the motifs for use with 1-3/4" hexagons
But I wanted to have something to go with that awesome red Crab! Now what's cooking? (Certainly NOT my red crab, of course!) Next week I'll visit those fussy cut hexagons. Now for my crab!

More hearts using one of the Shoreline prints
And then I auditioned them with my crab. What do you think? I call him Crab Happy.

My crab appliqué with several hearts made with EPP jewels
And here's what I got! I call this Crab Happy and is fat quarter friendly (because that's all I had, anyway). I played around with adding those fussy cut hexagons, but it just didn't work.

Crab Happy Quilt: 28" x 30"
My Crab Happy quilt was in my Craftsy shop and is a 5 page pdf which includes the full size (well, half) template for tracing onto freezer paper for raw edge machine appliqué. I also included a printable page for those Jewels to make the EPP hearts (just print on heavy paper or card stock). Well illustrated and fat quarter friendly, too!


Comments