Butterfly Week: Day Three

How about a little embroidery? I made this quilt for my first book (Bold, Black and Beautiful Quilts). It was one of those 20+ quilts that were stolen in 2005. I embroidered the butterflies (and wreaths) on my Pfaff sewing machine.


Here's a pillow sham I designed for Blank Quilting back in 2008. I never got to sew it, but this also uses a vintage appliqué butterfly block. I may just have to make this. I still have some of these lovely Inspiration fabrics in my stash.

22" x 28" center

And one more that lets the fabric do the work. This is the Sakura collection from a few years ago by Benartex. I fussy cut the butterflies and then used interfacing to turn the edges under. Quick and easy!


I had the collection with both the cream and black backgrounds. Here's one of the quilts I made. I simply appliquéd those circles to squares using a machine zigzag stitch.


And then I clipped away the fabric from behind the circles. Wanna see? This quilt was also quilted and then donated to a local children's charity. I still have more of those interfaced butterfly circles. I can feel another quilt begging to be made. I'll let you know!


I used another butterfly print for the border on this Garden Maze quilt. I did a tutorial on making this block several years ago. If you wait a minute, I'll go look for it!

        Got it: First published in 1999 for Quilt Magazine. I put it on my blog in 2012 and then updated it last year. Don't Be Dazed by the Garden Maze. Aren't these browns and pinks lovely?

Butterflies in border print

Hope you've enjoyed Day 3 of Butterfly Week. Yes, I have a few more days to go. I may skip tomorrow (Sunday). But, I will have 7 full days of butterflies for you!

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com