Princess Feathers for Autumn Quilts

Here in America we are getting ready to celebrate our Thanksgiving holiday on Thursday. Most of us are not traveling and will just have to stay at home with our quilts. This is one I put together over several years and even took apart and re-arranged the blocks! I quilted this a few months ago and I pulled it out to grace my dining room.

Dancing Leaves: 35" x 42"

 I shared these Princess Feather leaves in 2015. Maybe you remember?

6 Princess Feather leaves with fusible webbing on back

I cut a few more and began to plan.


I was thinking of a runner, but then decided to use all the blocks. Here are a few shots of how I envisioned the blocks.

Light block with strips on sides

Dark block - didn't like that!

I didn't fuse the leaves to the background rectangles (VERY good idea) as I was considering the assembly. I put them on my design wall and then I realized that if I didn't like one block, I would like several.

Playing with assembly and background fabrics

So, now you can see that my Dancing Leaves quilt with all plain backgrounds was what I enjoyed the most. This way I can see the leaves in good contrast.

I first made a Princess Feather quilt for Windham Fabrics in 2006. It was with the Regency Dandy collection, reproduction fabrics from about 1810. The quilting is DIVINE and was executed by Leslee Evans of Atlanta.
Regency Dandy Princess Feather

I also made it again for my second book (Supersize 'Em Quilts, 2009) using Kaffe Fassett fabrics. This still hangs in my home. The colors are very Autumn and harvest-y.

Princess Feather: 56" x 56" (30" block)

I still have a bag full of these feathers (small and large) that keep begging me to make another quilt or two. Yes, I have THAT many! Here is a table runner that is also out for Thanksgiving.

Dancing Feathers Table Runner


And just to show you the stack of Princess Feather Plumes I have . . . These date back to 2007 when I was working with the Red Rooster Rhapsody Collection. Aren't these beautiful?!

Stack of Princess Feather plumes with fusible webbing and ready to go

And I even made a two Machine Quilting Samples for a workshop I teach with the smaller plumes:

Single sample with the smaller plumes

And 4 blocks together:
Larger sample using 4 blocks

OK. I'm done. Hope you enjoyed seeing my Princess Feather quilts with a nod toward Autumn.

Comments