Scrap Bag Star FREE Pattern

It's hard to believe that it's been 20+ years since I made this quilt. I'm sure she's enjoying living wherever she lives now (I have no idea who I gave this to!) It was published in Quilt Magazine Fall 2002 (we worked as much as a year ahead, so this was made in 2001). I called it "Autumn Scrap Bag Star". Yes, I know - we are entering Spring here in the Northern Hemisphere. But, get a head start on your Autumn sewing! Or make it in Summer colors - your choice.

Autumn Scrap Bag Star: 81" x 81"

Let me show you some of the steps and then you can get the FREE pattern. First, the large 24" block. It's a traditional star composed of squares and triangles and NO y-seams. This info is in the pattern.


Let's see the steps to making those triangle units using small and big squares which are then cut in half.


And the final assembly (all this is contained in the 6 page pattern) - how to cut those 3-strip sashings and the corner stones. Note: those sashing strips are NOT the same width!


The pattern does NOT have the photo of the real quilt, but it does have my digital rendition of the 4-Block quilt. This thing is enormous (by my standards). 81" x 81", and it was photographed on a queen sized bed.

Autumn Scrap Bag Star: 81" x 81"

Here's the FREE pattern in pdf. If you make one block or the whole quilt, I'd love to see what you've done.

Comments

  1. Lol, this was published the year I started quilting! Never would have taken it on then. Since that time, I've come to love the old issues of Quilt but this is one I don't have. Hope I get to make this one, thanks for sharing the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Vivian. Glad you like the quilt. And that you like the old issues of Quilt Magazine. I'm slowly putting these articles into digital format (there are almost 1,000 - so it's not going to be complete!). Even to make one star is fun. Debby

      Delete
  2. Thank you. I am a HST gal so this is up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Nancy. Yes, I love half-square triangles, too. They are the backbone of most things quilting, aren't they? And no y-seams! Try one block for a stunning center for just about any quilt.

      Delete
  3. I really like this star in the colors on the bed quilt. I may have to give this a try. Thanks for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Susan. Yes, those colors were pulled from that border fabric. I think they are always safe to play with - browns and yellows and golds and greens. Thanks for stopping by, Debby

      Delete
  4. Thanks for re-publishing this one. I love going back thru Quilt Magazine. Wish this magazine was still in publication.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a great pattern in an equally great magazine. Yes, I miss Quilt! We had such a good time lining up great patterns for our great readers. Another time, sigh! I will be pulling out more things like this. Thanks, Becky, for stopping by.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com