What's in My Garden? Day 2

Text link for Raychel's Garden FREE pattern from Monday's post has been fixed.

Laurel Wreath is a set of vintage blocks that I updated about 20 years ago. There are 25 blocks composed of 20 flowers and 5 birds. Each block has a gorgeous wreath that surrounds these flowers and birds. Let me show you these wreaths - and then you will understand how I pooped out after 4 blocks! I used Garden Maze blocks to set them together.

Laurel Wreath Quilt: 45" x 45". Block Size: 12"

Yes, I made the 5th bird - the Florida Jay. I made it into a small quilt which I gave to a neighbor about 10 years ago. Isn't that just the most gorgeous floral print border?! The quilt is about 28" x 28" (I never measured it). There are 25 leaves on that wreath and I appliquéd every one. I was exhausted!

Single Block with Florida Jay

This was a Kansas City Star series from the 1930s, designed by Florence LaGanke under the name of Nancy Page. There is a LOT of chatty info that accompanies the patterns. That's why the pattern is 66 pages long! The appliqués are full size.

Here is the full quilt. The blue is a digital border; the original has MORE of those wreaths scattered on the edges (see 2nd photo).

Full Size Laurel Wreath Quilt: 90" x 104"

As the quilt appeared in the 1930s newspaper:

I took the Cedar Waxwing and perched it atop one of my tea cups from the 2018 Tea Party Block of the Month. I still am not sure what I'm going to do with it, but it's been waiting patiently in a box in my closet!

Cedar Waxwing perched on my Tea Cup: 10" block

I still need to appliqué the bird and floral cup. I think I can do that this week. Maybe it will whisper to me how it wants to be finished. I'm listening!

Comments