Meadow Whispers Quilt - Finished!

I blogged about a lovely butterfly collection by Windham Fabrics a few years ago named Meadow Whispers. It has BUTTERFLIES on several skus. I used a simple block design from my Colorburst Squares workshop which has 3 variations of the Cobblestone block.

The butterflies of Meadow Whispers

Here is the fabric collection with those lovely butterflies on the left (3 colors). I was working with fat quarters only.

I sewed until I exhausted myself (ha ha - I'm joking, of course). My method for making these is to stack 10-1/2" squares and cut them in pairs according to which one of the blocks I'm aiming for. My Colorburst Squares pattern simplifies it even further. Here are the 3 different blocks. Block 1 is the standard Cobblestone.

Cobblestone Block #1: 10" finished

And the second block: Notice that the center square is off-set. It still finishes to 10"

Cobblestone Block #2

And the third block has the center square aligned with one edge.

Cobblestone Block #3

I played around with the arrangement on my design board. Now you can see how those center squares move all over the surface of the quilt. That was my plan, of course.

Auditioning the placement of the Cobblestone Blocks

I made a total of 30 blocks - but I didn't use up all those fat quarters. I tried, honest! I put them together and had my guild friend quilt this and it was donated to one of our charitable ventures here in Herndon, Virginia. No border - just binding.

Meadow Whispers Butterfly Quilt: 50" x 60"

I just pulled out the leftover fabrics. They were calling to me from the closet and I figured I could probably make a small quilt. When you work with fabrics you love, you don't mind playing with them again and again.

Comments