Michael Miller Mondays with Krystal

Krystal is a blender collection from Michael Miller fabrics. It has a soft texture that works with just about any print. I was sent a few skus.

Krystal by Michael Miller

I pulled an OLD (really old) fabric from my stash that had all of these colors in it. That's what it's been waiting for all these years! Love this, don't you?

Krystal plus a "vintage" print

I made some half-square triangle units. They now measure 5-1/2" square.


Then I used my Star Spinners pattern and began cutting. Time to put your math hat on: What's half of 5-1/2? 2-3/4! Cut along the vertical with the colored triangle at bottom left.

Cutting my 5-1/2" units in half along the vertical

Now what do I do? Trim!


It's time to swap colors and create a new unit.

Swapping, ready to stitch.

And what do I get? I shared these a few months ago. I was in a quandary about how to color my Star Spinners blocks. Make them all one color/fabric or to combine them. Here is how I auditioned them using a single color as the star.


I was going on what I had done with my first Star Spinners quilt from 10 years ago. Do you remember this? I donated it to my local guild for a charity quilt. I think it works for this quilt, but I wasn't convinced how I would like it using Krystal.


So, I swapped my units and auditioned them as mixed color blocks. I liked this one better.

Star Spinners with two-color blocks

Here's my quilt top. What do you think? Twenty 9" blocks of rainbow colors!

Star Spinners quilt top: 36" x 45"

Now it waits for borders. I have more of the multi-print, but not enough to cover the longer sides. It goes into the closet (on a hanger) to wait it out. 

(I'm not offering this pattern either here or on Etsy at this time. But I'm sure you can figure it out using the numbers I shared above!)

Comments

  1. I like the stars all one color like the pink and brown. I tried to copy but only could get words. I tried to draw, but I'm not a good drawer. I must get to sewing room and try to sew. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com