Thankful Tuesday with Twisted Hexagons

A few weeks ago I got a distress email from a former student (Hillary) who was struggling with my pattern for Twisted Hexagons. She wasn't able to get her pieces to fit. Here's what my friend Julia of Fairfax, VA made several years ago using the same pattern.


Twisted Hexagon runner by Julia (2014)

I taught a workshop for our guild and Julia decided to make hers all by hand. Isn't this gorgeous?! Look at her hand quilting up close!

Julia's hand quilting

Now back to the distress email. It seems that something fishy was going on with the rooster fabric. Hillary sent this photo and asked me to help her figure it out.

Make sure your patches are cut the right size!

Once we determined she had printed out her templates at the wrong size, everything fit together so well she made this gorgeous quilt! Those are happy roosters now!

Hillary's Twisted Hexagon quilt

Here's the one she did from the workshop. Isn't it clever that she added those small hexagons on the black background fabric? I didn't ask, but I bet those are English Paper Pieced and then appliquéd. Smart, huh?

Hillary's first Twisted Hexagon quilt

I have made about a dozen of these Twisted Hexagon quilts, from runners to kids' quilts to lap quilts. Here's one I finished this Spring and donated to my guild's charity quilt endeavors.

Twisted Hexagon child's quilt

I had made placemats for my grandkids with some of the same blocks.

Baby Safari Twisted Hexagon placemats

There are no y-seams. It is pieced like a log cabin and you begin with a partial seam. Very fun and very quick.

You can find my patterns in my Etsy shop.

If you've made a quilt using one of my patterns, I would love to share it here on my Thankful Tuesday posts!

Comments