Boomer in the Garden

I came across a small quilt I made about 30 years ago, though it has no label with a date, etc. So how do I know it's from 30 years ago? It's hand quilted! I stopped hand quilting when I discovered that my trusty sewing machines could do awesome work in one tenth of the time!

Here is my Boomer in the Garden quilt. Why is her name "Boomer?" Well, this is a vintage block from well over 100 years ago and that's what it was called.

Boomer in the Garden. 22" x 26" quilt size

I machine pieced the 9" x 11" block and added the sashings and borders. The flowers are my own inventions combining ruching (the gathering of the ribbons) for that 2nd flower from the left, yo-yos, and interfaced leaves in the left and right flowers. The flower stems are ribbons. Her skirt is "lace by the yard" trimmed with more ribbon.

Let's see her up close:

Boomer in the Garden with her flowers

Then, I hand quilted this. I remember when I used to sit in the dining room window for the hour before my girls came home from school and do my quilting. I could see the bus stop across the street and it was a calming time for me after dashing through the house doing my mom chores!

No pattern for this. I'm sure it's somewhere on my computer, but nowhere to be found. Just a nod to the Summer flowers that are giving way to the Autumn leaves.

Comments