Quilt Triplets and FREE Pattern

A few weeks ago I saw a beautiful table topper made up by Glorious Color using Kaffe Fassett prints. I could tell by the size and the patch shapes that I could reproduce it. It's really a traditional block done in today's fabrics.

Holiday House Leeks Table Runner: 24" x 24" (kit)

I grabbed some of my own Kaffe scraps, but I didn't have these awesome colors. I needed to have a center square that measured 12-1/2". All I had was something in browns (not my favorite color). I stitched this at the end of December and put it aside for the holidays.

Debby's version of the table topper

While these look like diamonds, they are simply parallelograms made up of two half-square triangles. Very easy to do. I decided to go larger and so added lavender corner triangles to square it up, ready for more borders. I grabbed some African prints and a lavender batik from my stash that reflected the block colors and here she is!

Simplified Carpenter's Wheel: 37" x 37"

Honest - I did NOT plan those perfectly mitered borders. The stripes landed just like that on all 4 corners. Sometimes the fabric gods reach in and give me a hand! I used my Magical Mitering technique. You can find several references here on the blog - do a search.

In the meantime, I'm leafing through some old McCall's magazines and discover this same design created by Denise Applegate. Yes, there's nothing new under the sun! This is from the May/June 2011 issue, so it predates both mine and Glorious Color's.

Silk Table Topper by Denise Applegate: 24" x 24". Appeared in McCall's May/June 2011

And a flat shot, which shows you how similar these 3 are! This is truly beautiful and the quilting enhances the design, too! Same size as mine and Glorious Color's - 24" x 24". Denise made hers from silk.

Silk Table Topper

The 4 page pdf pattern is still online and FREE! Arrange your colors as you wish. Personally, I love showcasing a big, bold print in that center 12" square, don't you? There's lots of extra information about working with silk and the types that are on the market.
 

Check it out! Denise Applegate's  Silk Table Topper.

Comments