FREE Washington's Puzzle on President's Day

When I was a girl, we celebrated BOTH Lincoln's and Washington's birthdays. Now, we just give them a wink and a nod (maybe). Today I share a quilt pattern called Washington's Puzzle. Traditionally made using funky templates, I converted it using my Magic Stax© technique. I posted about this in 2017 using some Benartex fabrics. I came up with the idea in early 2000.

Here is a set of 1/3 yard cuts I was sent to work with. They are truly color drenched! And if you stay with me, you can have the FREE PATTERN.

Color Flow fabrics by Carol Bryer Fallert

While many others have done something similar, mine is unique in that the number of patches in a block determines how many squares are in a stack. The stack gets cut ALL at the same time (make sure your rotary cutter has a new blade.)

Also, my cutting is NOT RANDOM. All of my blocks in this series (15 different ones) are based on traditional blocks and a line drawing of them.

10-1/2" squares of Color Flow

I chose to update my Washington Puzzle quilt with these fabrics. Here is my Washington Puzzle quilt from 2007 (probably the fifth quilt in my series):

Washington Puzzle

Here is my simple line drawing of Washington Puzzle on a piece of freezer paper. This is crucial to getting the accuracy in cutting.

4 lines drawn on freezer paper (10-1/2" square)


FREE pattern for my Color Flow Puzzle

Here is my Color Flow Puzzle up close:

Color Flow Puzzle quilt

Go check it out. Another fun way with stacks of 10-1/2" squares. THIS WILL ALSO WORK WITH 10" SQUARES, because the cutting begins by finding the center (5"), so if you have a bundle of Layer Cake squares (10"), then you're half way there!

Comments

  1. Thanks for showing this and posting a link to the pattern. We don't have a president, but a king, but that won't deter me! I may change the name though. Why did you give it this name?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think half of what is wrong in politics stems from getting away from our roots. I read some of Washington's farewell speech today, and he listed 3 things which would wreck our republic, and we have all three of them going on! But I hope we can still come back to our roots. I'm an optimist most of the time. Thank you for this wonderful update on the pattern. I'm sure I remember seeing it in the past, and I really like the one from 2007. The border pulls that color out of the blocks, and it unites the whole thing, though it's scrappy. This needs to be on my list, too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com