Coffee Filter Fans Quilt

What? Coffee filters in quilts? How in the world . . .?

My husband and I drink coffee every, single morning. No exception. 25 years ago I looked at a circular coffee filter and thought: Hmmmm. I wonder if I could stitch some random strips onto the paper. I cut the filter in half and did some string piecing. I still have that sample somewhere, but I can't find it to show you.

I went on to make some quarter-circle blocks, foundation piecing with those coffee filters. Here's my first quilt from 2001. I used some fairy-themed novelty fabrics.

Fairy Love Ring (Coffee Filter Fans): 33" x 33"

In a few years I  began to teach it as a workshop. I made more samples and even offered kits of fabric to my students. It was very popular as well as fun. The coffee filters are about 9-1/2" in diameter.

12 Block Coffee Filter Fans: 24" x 30"

Here's another one that I had published in a quilting magazine in 2007. My Etsy pattern also includes this version.

Coffee Filter Fans: 43" x 58"

Here's a flat shot of the quilt before quilting. You can see my "creative" pieced border corners. Creative? Ha! I didn't buy enough yardage for borders without seams, so I added those so I wouldn't have to seam the sides! I was desperate, not creative (though I have to say, it does look creative, doesn't it?)

Coffee Filter Fans with 9-Patch borders

And here's my last quilt which I began in 2007 and finally had quilted last month by a guild member. This is being donated to our local charities. It has twenty 6" blocks and is all batiks.

Coffee Filter Fans: 45" x 53"

I've made several others, but this is enough for today. Check out my Etsy listing to see a few more photos. The 12 page pdf has lots of color and steps out the entire easy process.

Comments

  1. I took this class SO many years ago - absolutely LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the quarter square center instead of a circle.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com