Windham Wednesdays with Norma Rose

You can do a lot with fat quarters, even make a large quilt. But did you know you can get 3 quilts from a generous set of those bundles? You've seen two of these before, but I was rummaging through my workshop boxes and found some samples that cried: "Please, Miss Debby. Please make us into a quilt!"

First, the oldest quilt: This was from a 2020-2021 Mystery Quilt project done for my local quilt guild. It is not my pattern and I was really nervous to sew something with no idea of where I was going. Yes, I did have to add some no-name cream blender, some cream Kona Snow, and a burgundy blender. But all the beautiful prints are from the 2020 Norma Rose Collection by Windham Fabrics.

Norma Rose Mystery Quilt: 54" x 54"

You can see my nervous steps by typing in "Mystery Quilt" in the search bar.

I absolutely loved the fabrics so much, that I made a second quilt. First, the fabrics.


The second quilt is made of basic 60 degree diamonds surrounded by strips and then set with large triangles. That luscious, bold floral print was calling to me!

Large diamonds surrounded by 1-1/2" strips

I sewed until I couldn't get any more diamonds. Time to put the 8 blocks together. I did have to dip into another collection for those top and bottom center triangles.

8 Norma Rose Diamond Blocks: 34" x 39-1/2"

These are REALLY tall diamonds - 19-1/2" finished (point to point). 11-1/2" wide (from point to point)

Then I had to get creative with the borders. Remember, I only had fat quarters. I really love pieced borders - they have so much more personality.

Norma Rose Diamonds Quilt: 45" x 51"

Now, one more. Can you believe it?!! I pulled out the samples for my Starfish pattern. I've made this twice and taught it as a workshop last year. Simple paper pieced blocks. I took the set of teaching samples and put them together into this lovely little quilt. Four blocks set on point and then the setting triangles are pieced with two different color sashings. I share my secret in the pattern, of course.

Scrappy Starfish

The pattern listing has a version for Hannukah, Christmas and this bright, scrappy one just in time for Summer. I had to get VERY creative with the remnants of those fat quarters, so there's no directions for those outer borders.

I have a few strips of this Norma Rose fabric left - certainly not enough for anything other than a coin purse!

Comments

  1. I like Norma Rose #1, but I would have guessed it isn't your pattern. It doesn't have the Debby look, as beautiful as it is. I like how far you stretched those FQs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com