One Collection, Many Interpretations

I think you've seen most of these projects at one time or another. They all came from the Regency Dandy Collection by Windham Fabrics (2007). I realized that I was able to get 4 complete quilts from the collection and make a sample block for a 5th. Let's look at them!

I made this fabulous Princess Feather in 2007. This was beautifully quilted by Leslee Evans of Maryland. It's a free pattern - just click that link below the photo.

Princess Feather - hangs in the Windham Fabrics office!

Here's a little info about the collection and where the inspiration came from (click on the picture to make it larger to read the words).


Then I was playing with the Palm/Hosannah blocks and came up with this:

The Palm Quilt. 10" blocks. 60" x 60" quilt

I also made a Thousand Pyramids quilt that appeared in Quilt Magazine back in 2007 or 2008. I had enough triangles to make a second quilt center. It sits in a box in my closet awaiting some border fabrics. Someday . . .

Thousand Pyramids

I still had some yardage left (I think I was sent one yard of each print). I cut out some diamonds. I was headed for 2 quilt ideas.

Regency Dandy 4-1/2" diamonds

 I turned them into jewels by cutting off a small triangle from one end:

Jewels cut from diamonds

I made this first quilt by adding some small cream triangles. This is stitched in horizontal rows with NO y-seams. The outer border is also a Windham fabric from the Raj Collection. This is going to my local guild's charity endeavors.

Lots of Jewels: 43" x 44"

Then I used the remaining jewels to test-drive another idea. I had enough for one block, which encouraged me to make several more using another collection. As you can see - there are no y-seams here either! I call this my Scrappy Jewels block. And I reached the very end of those fabrics.

Scrappy Jewels block: 12" high by 13-1/2" wide.

I truly loved working with the Regency Dandy collection. Hope you enjoyed seeing how different the same fabrics can look in different patterns!

Comments

  1. Those fabrics are so bright and pretty! I especially love the Lots Of Jewels diamond quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry. Yes, that was a fun way to put these jewels together. I'm sure it's been done like this before, but since I had the patches cut as diamonds already, it was easy to take it one step further.

      Delete
  2. I love love the fabrics . They really shine!! Do you have a pattern for Lots of Jewels? It is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The feather quilt is amazing. How did you finish the edges of the feathers?
    Like Sherry and Brenda, I like the look of the Jewels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Susan. Its ALL raw edge appliqué. Can’t stand hand appliqué. Threw away the first thing I tried and went happily to my sewing machine!

      Yes, those Diamonds to Jewels is a fantastic quilt of illusion. I may share more about it next week. I was asked for the pattern but I don’t have anything written up - yet! It’s a variation of my Scrappy Diamonds to Jewels patten which uses the same patches.

      https://www.etsy.com/listing/1270505378/scrappy-diamonds-to-jewels-pdf-pattern

      You can see some of those steps. I’m thinking of adding the Jewels quilt as an addendum.

      Debby

      Delete
  4. It is amazing how different each pattern looks, though the fabrics are the same. I can't even choose a favorite one, as they are ALL so appealing. Maybe Thousand Pyramids? Maybe the Princess Feather? No wonder it hangs in the office. Who wouldn't want to see that every day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com