Nosegay Week: Day One

This vintage pattern was traditionally made using templates. I converted it to foundation paper piecing about 15 years ago. I look for the lines and the obvious units and go from there.

What is the Nosegay, you may ask? Notice my latest blocks here on a design wall. Do they look like stars missing a point or two?

Several Nosegay blocks in process

Compare the star block below with those above. Yes, there are two star points replaced with a base cone.

8 Pointed Star (Lone Star) using the Solstice Collection by Windham Fabrics

A traditional Nosegay block has inserted "buds" between the star points as you can see from this yellowed newspaper page from 1937. And an elongated cone. It is set on point. And look at those templates!!


Here is one I found on Pinterest in real fabric.


Let's see one of the first quilts I made using my foundation piecing of the block. I did take out those little inserts. This is from 2008.

Old Fashioned Nosegay: 12" blocks. 47" x 55" quilt

I'll be back to show you a few more quilts and blocks using this vintage inspired pattern.

Comments

  1. That is such a pretty block but there is no way I would try to make it with templates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about making one with directions from Brenda on youtube at conquering mount scrapmore, but I'm going to wait to see what you show. I'd have to make a small one because of health issues!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com