In a Pickle (Dish)

Pickle Dish gets its name from the cut glass dish used to serve, well, pickles! This was a popular 1930s pattern that was only for those who could stitch accurately and weren't afraid of templates and curved seams. You don't believe me? Ha!

Pickle Dish pattern in Kansas City Star October 28, 1931

Here is my first Pickle Dish quilt using a collection by Windham Fabrics. I began this quilt in 2013 (can you say ELEVEN YEARS?)

Traditional Pickle Dish

Yes, I paper pieced those points in the arcs! There was no way I would attempt templates. Yes, this was made in 2013.

Paper pieced arcs

Here are some arcs I made the same way for another quilt.

Pickle Dish paper pieced arcs

Then I made one using some Kaffe Fassett fabrics.

My second Pickle Dish quilt

I made this into a workshop and made more and more samples. I have decided to retire the workshop, so that means I need to use up all the samples and throw away the storage box (you've seen those Chobani yogurt boxes I use to store my workshop samples).

Here is one I made using those bright arcs above. This was hanging in a local quilt show. I think it looks like space aliens are getting ready to land!

Black and Brights Pickle Dish: 61" x 61"

I have enough to make four more blocks (like the Kaffe Fassett one above with the flower border) and then I'm done! I put a border on the first quilt you see at the top and it's been quilted and bound and heading for a local charity. Whew! It only took 11 years and a fun rooster border!

Pickle Dish quilt: 42" x 42"

I'll be sharing my last quilt as soon as I join those curved units with the melon centers. And I ran out of that pink fabric for a last point so I pieced it! Look closely and you'll see the seam.

Pickle Dish unit with pieced pink point!



Comments

  1. Love the polka dot, hot air balloons, and the other multicolored fabric in the paper pieced arcs picture. I think I even have some of the hot air balloon fabric. Looking at the whole pickle dish quilt, I would never have guessed it was paper pieced. My favorite one is the Black and Brights Pickle Dish.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com