Rising Sun

I traveled to New York and back this weekend to celebrate my father in law's 99th birthday! We drove through Rising Sun, Maryland. I said to my husband: "You know. I have a quilt with that name." (No surprise there!)

My paper pieced rendition of the traditional Rising Sun block (14", composed of four 7" units)

I have made this several times and it even was a popular workshop. It also appears in my 3rd book, Paper Piecing Perfect Points. I call it "Casablanca Sunrise." That was also the name of the fabric collection I used at the time (well over 10 years ago!)

Casablanca Sunrise quilt using the Casablanca Collection by Blank Fabrics

 Well, what happens when you make more than one block? Let me show you. (Sorry that the picture isn't as bright as a sunrise, but I think you get the idea). This quilt uses FOUR blocks, but because of the way I have turned 1/4 of each block, it creates the illusion of FIVE blocks. Neat trick, huh? And will you look at those stripes!

Four blocks become five - I sewed until I ran out of fabric!

I took my workshop samples and made another quilt. Not quilted yet, but it's part of my "When 4 (blocks) Create 5." Each paper pieced block finishes to 14", with four 7" units.


One of my students sent this finished quilt from a workshop. Isn't it beautiful?


I don't think I have anymore unfinished units, since I retired the class. But it's a fun - and easy - block to make using paper piecing.

Comments

  1. I don't remember seeing this one before. I really like it in all of the settings above.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com