Dresdens and Border Prints

I taught my Modern Vortex class last Saturday and really wowed my students when I showed them how they can use their dresden wedge ruler with border prints to create some fabulous blocks.

Here is a quilt I made a few years ago and since have given it away to some little girl. The border print fabric has to be at least 20 years old!

Dresden wedges and border print

Because you have to flip-flop the ruler, you are cutting for two blocks to get one. What did I do with the remaining four units (four quarter units = a full circle)? Another fun quilt, that's what!

Five units for a swirly quilt center

Wait a minute! Where did that extra 5-wedge quarter block come from? I honestly can't remember, but it sure makes for a fun quilt!

Here's my Modern Vortex quilt. We strip piece the 18 degree wedges.

Modern Vortex quilt

One more quilt using my dresden ruler and some border prints. 

20 wedge block using a border print

I had made these blocks over 10 years ago and then finally put them together in my "When 4 Becomes 5" setting.

Modern Vortex using border prints

The bottom left corner bugs me. I plan to replace it (since I have even more of this border print).

I bet you have some special border prints (maybe from Jinny Beyer?!) that would be fun to cut using a dresden ruler. You may even have your own dresden ruler in your sewing room. Go check and I'll be back in a few days with some more inspiration!

Comments

  1. I remember seeing the Modern Vortex quilt before. It's interesting to see how one can use a border print besides as a border.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com