More Dresdens

This little quilt went to live in a new home. Was a silent auction item last weekend. Husband was horrified that I would give up such a lovely quilt. I'm sure hoping the new owner loves all the KF/Brandon/Philip fabrics. Made with charm squares and a simple dresden ruler. 

Charming Dresdens (with ruler)

Most dresden rulers are multi-sized. Here's mine with an 8" height.

My dresden ruler (comes with Vortex pattern also)

I chose to work with charm squares and got two wedges from each 5" square. Here are 80 dresden blades. (I used the 5" horizontal line on my acrylic ruler).

Charming Dresdens PDF pattern (no ruler; paper template included)

Then, I pieced them together in groups of 5 and added the triangle to the bottom (well: a 3" square with a diagonal sewing line).

Finishing the base with a triangle

I made 16 blocks with a variety of solid shot cottons for those triangles.

16 Mini Dresden "fans" ready for the background

I placed them on white Fairy Frost 7-1/2" squares and used a simple machine zigzag to stitch them down. Trimmed away the background to reduce bulk.

Trim away background to reduce bulk

Such a sweet quilt! I made a table runner in the same manner, but only used 8 background squares. I had a charm pack of Briar Rose fabrics (Windham, 2013).

Small charm pack of Briar Rose

And here is my table runner!


Now, go dash into your sewing room. Dig around in your drawers and find your dresden ruler. Grab a charm pack and get going!

You can find the pattern for Charming Dresdens and ruler in my Etsy shop. (hard copy pattern and ruler: FREE postage, USA only). 

 If you have your own ruler, the 7 page pdf pattern is also available: Charming Dresdens pdf pattern.

Comments